Wax:on 2nd Annual Dj Competition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt Wax:On, Mar 30, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

all i can say is...you are ALL very lucky that im not entering :lol:
  2. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Exactly

I think that's why they implemented that procedure.
  3. andrew gibson

andrew gibson Registered User

:lol: :lol:
  4. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

i dont want to spark off any kind of hate/vs/mine-is-better debate, but is the dj box that will be used geared up for cd players or turntables primerily?

ie, are the turntables either side of the mixer, or the cd players?

and if they're turntable, can they be turned so the tone arms are at the back?

:)
  5. andrew gibson

andrew gibson Registered User

if the comp is in the main room the setup can be shown on the sitehere
    under soud and light or for a colour pic of the both look in venue photos and theres no way there gona let you start turning
    decks round :wink:
  6. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

oh well, looks like i'll have to give it a miss then, setup is no good for a dj comp :)

thanks for the info andrew ;)
  7. Guest

seems to me like nobody wants to hear trance no more, personally i think its a gutter, every time i support a thread concerning trance theres alot of people who are considerabley negative towards the genre, seems to me like people only want to hear big names now. They dont give us fukin starters a chance just coz we havent made a name for ourselves means we cant dj? load of bolloks. obvousley people like van dyk can mix better but how long has he been mixing for? its all about experience, anyone who has mixed for a few years can impress a crowd. (obviousley there are exeptions) but anyone who is mature and knows what to do and when should impress. fukin age? genre? be more open minded u twats!
  8. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

That's not necessarily true. I like trance, I like most genre's of music. All style's have there good and bad day's, whether it be electro, trance, techno, minimal, funky house or whatever - they all spawn both good, bad and in some cases truly awful tunes. But that's music for you.

I think the point people are trying to put across is that playing trance at Wax: On might not give you the advantage over others that you want.

And, for you to say that people only want to hear big names now is a load of utter shite. I think you'll find if you read through a lot of threads on the board people love to see and hear set's from new, up and coming dj's who can bring something new to their "preferred" genre.

And as for saying that nobody gives starters a chance - You're into trance - look at Tylor Leigh, I haven't heard her, but she seems to be getting a few big gig's, and she's only been djing just over 2 years. Yeah, ok, she's got a pear of tit's so that probs helped - But since you haven't I'd take people's comments into consideration and possibly try to do something different :D Or, if you want to stick with trance, try to do more than just beat match a track during your set's to add some originality to a genre that the judge's probably won't class as original.

At the end of the day nobody's is knocking you for wanting to enter the comp, and as I said to you before - Good luck all the same ;)
  9. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

sorry m8, i have to comment, but if you think pvd is a better mixer than you, dont enter, you're not ready. another thing is, yup, djs who have been doing it for a while have more experience and will get booked over someone who is new, promoters just wont chance taking a risk with newer guys/girls, they want to fill a club and when they do, they want people to return the week after, its a business thing :)

please dont take these comments to heart, this is just my personal opinion and this is only the internet at the end of the day :)
  10. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

Tbf non of us have heard him (I don't think), so to make a comment like that is a bit shit imo...
  11. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

sorry if you think that way, Granty, but in my personal experience, I would'nt enter a competition if I thought a dj who only beatmatches was better than me, and he did sound in the post like that was the case
  12. Danny_Habit

Danny_Habit Registered User

I can understand people wanting to have a bash at the competition, but you really need to use common sense. Are you really going to win a competition for Wax:On playing trance?

I'm going to sound really biased here, but I'm just being honest, I thought Si Quick wiped the floor with everyone last year, but he didn't win as his sound was not suited to Wax:On at the time.
  13. Ash1

Ash1 Registered User

Not true - think about it - this board is not primarily trance related anymore like it used to be - it full of members who have either moved on or people who like the predominant sounds discussed on here - prob house & minimal
  14. Stephen

Stephen the reel master

the competition is obviously based loosely around the old "if the face fits" way of thinking and i can understand the waxon promoters favouring those who adhere to the "waxon sound"

i dont really agree with you granty neither, it is names that pull in the punters to trance nights, i could list up & coming trance djs all day long that are superb technically & musically but they wont fill any venues, that could apply to any other genre too. these djs "who bring something new" to the genres generally don't get a look in because people like to know they're paying hard earned spon for something they're familiar with, peoples endless lists of trance superstar djs in the goodgreef thread proves my point.

if u play trance at the waxon comp it's never going to impress the trentmoller/jesus beard & hair crew, but people should respect whoever plays, whatever they play as waxon has always played the open-minded card
  15. Jess C

Jess C Tookie

I agree don't get offended by what people are saying dj seanwhatever its just like some1 entering a shindig (house) comp playing hard house...obviously your music wouldn't get played at the club so why would you even want to put yourself in that embarrassing situation?
  16. Stephen

Stephen the reel master

but shindig is exclusively a house night

waxon pride themselves in being diverse & open minded, so genre bashing & eliteism shouldn't even be an issue
  17. Jess C

Jess C Tookie

Why are you giving him false hope? What would people react like if he turned up playing trance? You personally know for a fact every1 would be thinking what the fuck!
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Registered User

it shouldn't be. your right. however we all know that anyone playing in a dj comp for a night that has a particular "sound" needs to play a style that suits that sound.

if they dont - their technical abilities will be overlooked for the sheer fact their sound does not fit with the nights.
  19. Jess C

Jess C Tookie

Another thing dj sean brown in djing if you want to get anywhere with it...for starters you HAVE to be able to take constructive criticism
  20. Stephen

Stephen the reel master

i know that but i am just sharing my opinion that for a night billed as being forward-thinking/open minded etc etc it shouldn't be like that.

the only trance i honestly think you could get away with in front of the waxon crowd is progressive but you'd really have to know your stuff and pick your tunes well... playing progressive trance properly is something not many people can do imo, i have a feeling djsean would turn up with his latest trance anthems that armin & o'bir have been caning..........:D