Techno @ Promise?

Discussion in 'Music' started by tom, Oct 21, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

All tech heads are the same... nick is exactly like u he plays a trance tune and calls it techno cos it maybe has a slightly gravely feel to it :p

Andy Farleys style of hard house borrows its routes from a lot fo hardcore me thinks... that evil sound :D
  2. tom

tom

"What's your problem with foundation? It has a very good sound system, if you are a 'music fan' then that should be the main thing you care about after the djs. Is this a classic 'I hate popular things' post?"

yeah i know Foundation has a top quality sound system. and im not anti-Foundation, or anti-popular things either. but what i dont like is people who like popular things for that very reason. if Promise had a surprise electroclash DJ one night - everyone there would probably go mental and love it. but i doubt they would go to an electroclash night somewhere else.

anyway, as Fizz mentioned - its pretty hard to nail one techno genre in this discussion. fair enough Picotto may be playing tracks by techno producers like McCormack, but he is far from being a 'techno DJ'. i think a lot of techno DJs who have championed their sound for years would have a lot to say about that. a 'Hard Dance DJ' might sum him up. but yeah he can have his own 'techno sound' like Dave Clarke and everyone else - but you have to ask yourself why he has moved into that.

im going to check out that article in DJ Mag. and laugh probably.
  3. Yosef Ha'Kohain

and the award for the most shite talked today goes to.....
  4. fizz

fizz Registered User

its a 2 page spread, and i dunno what issue of dj mag it was but it could have been last months i picked up... not sure... there was only a couple left... - - has a photo of a guy o nthe front with deep red stuff on his teeth and lips...cant remember who it was.
  5. fizz

fizz Registered User

ME pls joe ME ME ME !!!! oh go on...you know you want to!!

GO on JOE ME MEMEME
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

u win this prize far 2 often let some1 else have the spot light 4 once u greedy bastard :p
  7. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

or.....everyone would leave.
  8. Congay

Congay Registered User

Picotto is despised on the Techno circuit for how he plays techno and how he mix's it with cheese & trance. He isn't a pure Techno DJ (yet) and purist Techno fans HATE him being called this..

As for Techno evolving.......... I don't agree.

REAL INDUSTRIAL TECHNO hasn't changed for since it began...

Other music has started to incorporated techno sounds into them though.
  9. tom

tom

Mark,
    - firstly, i haven't actually said anything anti-promise here. i know you're not a superclub, and im sure you do work hard. don't know how much of this topic you have read, so it's hard to know how much to say in my reply. i reckon it got quite interesting though, so check it out...! don't really know if i had a point. was just up for a discussion type o' thing.

to be honest, its all getting a bit hazy to me now. i started this topic off coz i was a bit annoyed by people saying stuff along the lines of "techno, wicked! - why not get some electro DJs like Luke Slater to play upstairs / you have to get Carl Craig... etc..."

where were all these techno / electro fans when Carl Craig played at Reverb in July 2001? there must have been 100 people there max - although in fairness it was mid-summer. but it was CARL CRAIG! Luke Slater Live at Newc Uni in april was also dead. 50 people max. it gave a bad impression of Newcastle to Luke - who was pissed off coz nobody was dancing. everyone was too scared. no-one likes being the first on the dancefloor do they...

so, i got a bit wound up by a few comments, and it was late last night, and i just felt like rambling on a bit... but then that goon Smartie entered the fray and started talking his shite...

anyway, Fizz made some good points, and i think i did too - or don't you agree? i didn't intend to slag off all Promise fans, just the annoying bandwagon jumpers. and those who think Picotto is a techno DJ. please...

i personally am a bit doubtful about techno at Promise, but unlike many people who seem to refuse to go to a night that isn't at Foundation / Sugar / Stereo, i'll go along. the back of your flyer says "Dress Code: Friday's best!" - but i've always thought all that kind of 'beautiful attitude' was the exact opposite to the essence of techno.

I've been around here a long time and i feel strongly about Newcastle's club scene and the unadventurous nature of a lot of clubbers really gets to me sometimes. A lot of good nights with originality have failed, and poor nights have thrived simply coz one of the promoters is loaded or something and can afford certain 'superstar DJs'. I rate Promise though - it's just Newcastle and some clubbers' attitudes that makes me angry.

Bit long, i know...!

Discuss...!
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

So in summary...

If you go to sugar/foundation/stereo your not entitled to like techno?

If that isn't your point I fail to see what is?

If your point is your annoyed at Promise for bringing techno to newcastle when other nights have failed to do so... why are you kicking up a fuss? Promise are introducing techno to an audience that wouldn't usually appriciate it... Enabling respected dj's to play in a succesful night (Where people actually dance)... These dj's will geta good impression of newcastle and return...

I'm not a techno fan myself - but if anything Promise are soon to be working wonders on the newcastle techno scene.

As mark pointed out your doing no favours for reverb...

Lots of love

Your fav goon :rolleyes:
  11. tom

tom

Smartie you mis-interpret everything i say. sometimes, i think you are a bit thick.

i should point out that luke slater was not at reverb. it was his own live tour in the global cafe in the top floor of the union.
  12. jaqui

jaqui

didnt u know smartie is the bible when it cums to dance music, u cant win.
  13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

How should I interpret someone coming on the promise site and saying:

Now I fail to see your point so maybe I am a bit thick... But whatever your point is your not going to get the support or respect of the promise faithful by ripping the piss out of them or assuming yourself to be better than them "because you've been doing it longer"...

Correct me if I'm wrong (and if I am please point out how as we've already established I'm a bit thick :rolleyes: ) but...

Your problem with the promise punters is their loyalty to the club... Yet your obviously extremely loyal to Reverb....

Your problem with promise punters is they never go elsewhere? I suggest you read over the messageboard - just because Promise is our local it doesn't mean we don't go elsewhere (just like reverb is yours)...

Your annoyed that luke slater got no crowd last year... then when someone expresses an interest in him your disgusted at him because he's maybe just discovered he likes him?

Sounds like someone got out of the wrong side of bed :D
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I don't believe we've met...

but glad you speak so highly of me.... fancy meeting for a drink some time?
  15. jaqui

jaqui

we havent just making an observation:D
  16. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

have to say if i'd known luke slater was on.. i would of made the 120 mile round trip i make to goto promise up to newcastle to see him.

i was the one who asked to see a bit of him up in the upstairs room. i actually think he would go down a storm.

i pride myself on having diverse musical tastes... for you to say that people on here are jumping on a bandwagon and going "oooh wow techno, lets book some techno dj's" i think your very far from the mark!
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

well 10/10 for observations... if my memory serves me correctly your one of the bitter and twisted old prog heads... am I right?
  18. jaqui

jaqui

bitter and twisted nah u got the wrong girl.
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

*chuckles*

s'pose my memory aint what it used to be - thought u was from the days of the farmergiles rumbles (I miss him :( ), so your not an old nemsis... shame I was looking forward to a bit of raukus...

ah well s'pose I'll hvae to make do with ur respect and admiration :D :D :D
  20. An@rchy

An@rchy Registered User

5 mins from your gaff with a case of lager in the
    so this is what we have so far....

Tom likes tekno, but likes the fact that not many other people do

Tom hates Promise party ppl cos we don't listen to tekno

Tom hates that some Promise party ppl do like tekno cos Tekno is cool, hip, underground baby

Tom hates the fact that maybe his uber cool tekno image will slip now that tekno seems to becoming more mainstream

This thread is shit. One more reply and I'm putting a picture up