Prog......Sasha, Digweed, Deep Dish!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Simon L, May 11, 2004.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

1. WhoIsJohnBenson

WhoIsJohnBenson Registered User

every set i have heard from digweed does absolutely nothing for me - as you have described at the start of your thread.

Deep dish and sasha seem to have a bit more variety to their sets. Some (though not all) of the decent prog they play is picked up by trance DJs to play at the start of their sets as well :up:
  2. Guest

Lucian Foort was/is the best prog/trance warm up dj in the world FACT.

DEEP DISH SHOULD BE SHOT FOR CRIMES AGAINST MUSIC!! AND FOR PEOPLE TO SAY HIP HOP IS REPETATIVE!! FUCKING WANKERS.
  3. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

nah....i like sasha, but noth the others really...

deep dish bore me...ZZzzzzZzz
  4. Spiral

Spiral Registered User

Same with me, tho i am goin to see digweed 2nite since its in me regular
  5. TheSpence

TheSpence Registered User

Progressive trance is okay as warm up music for trance dj but progressive house is boring full stop.
  6. Rob

Rob Registered User

:lol:

It's true though Si. Most Sasha mixes sound pretty boring when I first listen to them.
  7. Danny_Habit

Danny_Habit Registered User

Digweed boring?

Have a listen to any of his GU's and MMII, he is certainly not boring.

Deep Dish - have people not heard Yoshiesque 1?

Sasha seems to have lost it a bit over the last few years, but his Ibiza and San Fran GU mixes are seminal. As are his mixes with Diggers for Renaissance, and Northern Exposure.

There is also a lot more to prog than just these guys, lot of talent out there at the minute.

Sander K
    Danny Howells
    Jon Lisle
    Zabiela
    Paolo Mojo
    Chris Fortier

etc
  8. Simon Stuart

Simon Stuart Registered User

At the end of the day I think this is all different stokes for different folk.

I am inclined to agree though that Prog has been the biggest culprit when it comes to getting overly techy with productions. Nothing wrong with complex productions (Maurice Fulton for example) but when you haven't got a world class soundsystem (of which there are truly very few) much of that work is lost and you're left with a murky beat and a slowly shifting hi-hat and kick drum.

I think the main problem for me personally is often the lack of variation - a pit into which many prog nights in particular seem to fall for some reason - but then I struggle with most nights that stick to a narrow and rigid sound.
  9. Guest

Fulton sound is realy bare and simple,its just his work on the drum machine which is complex!!

He must be the best drum engineer in electronic music today.
  10. Breakdown

Breakdown

at least its not as shit as techno! prog has its place, can build a night up really well and not all prog is boring. but each to their own i guess
  11. JockB

JockB Registered User

Re: Prog......Sasha, Digweed, Deep Dish!

Total nonsense... it's not boring and it's not dull, becuase you don't like something or can't get into it doesn't make it "boring". This is nothing new though, It's been 'cool' to not like Sasha & Digweed since the techno/house/electro bandwagons came along. :lol:

As for Deep Dish - I've seen Dubfire totally rock Pressure at the arches, destroy colours at the arches, rock the socks of shindig: and create the best atmosphere I have seen in Foundation since I moved down here - nobody was bored on these nights.

Sasha and Diggers globally have more pulling power in clubs than any DJ's on the circuit - that doesn't happen from being boring.

You all hail Zabiela and how he's a bresh of fresh air which I agree but if it wasn't for Sasha inviting him on the excessions tour and putting some faith in him we wouldn't have got the chance to hear/see him. Ask him if Sasha is boring :lol:
  12. JockB

JockB Registered User

Examples?
  13. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

Digweed Boring? TBH I have never seen him play but that GU CD was dull as hell. He is probably much better in a club but like I said I have never seen him play. IMO the best GU CD is Nick Warren Rejavik. Prog without the boring bits :D

Sasha: The amount people go on about him I was expecting something really special but I didn't really get what all the hype was about :confused:
  14. Psi

Psi

well Remy, you should have got your ass down to shindig to see what it was all about then.

Prog, is great, simple as that. I dont really love the dark dark stuff anymore but when i stick on a dark chugging prog record it sounds great.

It all boils down to one's taste i guess. Some people jsut dont get prog, i personally can dance all night to it, becasue it builds (thats if a good dj is playing). I dont see why you cant dance to it, its got a drum beat and hey its got less silly soft spots like trance does.

sounds like my opnions is getting a bit bitchy.

but anyway, the big prog dj's out there are excellent. You jsut got to see past the smoke.

later,

PSi
  15. blur

blur Registered User

yeah bitches.

no point in putting any genre down just because you dont like it.

by saying you dont like it will only re-inforce the other persons love of it.
  16. Dez

Dez Registered User

I love prog especially Deep Dish. Love the way everything builds up. The basslines and melodies are definetly more subtle but you can get into them more than when there are breakdowns all the time.
  17. Dez

Dez Registered User

When I've seen him live,he's been slightly disappointing but some of his compilations are pure genius. Best when's he banging out prog trance
  18. JockB

JockB Registered User

:up: :up:

Perfectly summed up... Deep Dish at shindig built and built and built and the whole club shot it's load at the end of the night.

Best night I've had in the TOON. :cool2:
  19. Dez

Dez Registered User

Likewise. Def one of the best sets I've seen. Dubfire's at the birthday was up there as well
  20. Spiral

Spiral Registered User

After going to prob my first prog orientated nite last nite i was pleasently suprised. To me it wasnt music to dance to but it wasnt boring either