Pointless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by loopyloosy, Nov 23, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

I didn't tell you that at all, I told you that a fractional minority of the world believed in Judaism - not quite what you would expect should your god in particular be 'resonating with his wisdom' through us all ;)

Your problem with interpreting evidence again surfaces here if you think your websites survey is more reliable than a peer-reviewed study in nature, but if we like we can put that one aside. Preliminary findings from a survey of the Fellows of the Royal Society (the scientific elite of the commonwealth) will show that only 3.3% believe in a personal god - 213 unbelievers to 12 believers. I shall be happy to provide you with a link when this is published, and you can try to criticise the methodology.

It's not surprising really - these are intelligent people, and we know that more highly educated people are less likely to be religious. http://www.amazon.com/How-We-Believe-Search-Science/dp/071673561X

This, I believe, is because they can appraise evidence and probabilities to make the decision that is most likely to be right.

However improbable you think the formation of the universe is, your alternative, that some indescribably complex being capable of such feats as world-making (I note you tried to misuse E=mc squared, does this apply to G-d making worlds? Where's his energy coming from? A big fusion reactor?) simply must be so vastly improbable as to be laughable. This is, I think, my favourite argument against the possible existence of a god, and it is telling indeed how poor the retorts of the religious to it are.
  2. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Registered User

Think it's time for a bit of Christian imput back into this thread!! :)
  3. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Keep it serious. :lol:
  4. forks

forks still not dead

well come on then.....
  5. Guest

:up:

Attached Files:

6. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Storm, do you play count3rstrike?
  7. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Registered User

Yea I kinda realised there was a lot more to answer than I realised and its gonna take a while, plus i got distracted and I've been uploading some videos I made @ Gods on fri to youtube that i'm gonna post on here in a min. I'll get round to it eventually!
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

the bible contains two creations of man...

I believe one to be the result of evolution, the other creation of a soul...

Why there exists two creations of man in the bible is open to interpretation - but it certainly wasn't a printing error ;)
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

why would anyone want to change your mind?

You follow your path, I'll follow mine... theres no reason for you to concern yourself with the beliefs of others?

Us heebs have been subscribing to a belief spectrum for millenia and we appear to of out lived most civilisations and seem to fair ok in the grand scale of things...
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

the big bang is one of the explanations to this spreading... but you're right big bang theory is dated... most cosmologists will say that the universe is currently expanding - anything more is speculation.
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

explain how I misused the above?
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

you've been promoising for 2 weeks now ;)
  13. forks

forks still not dead

not as bad as god and the messiah though:wink:
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

the messiah isn't really a jewish concept... its a christian creation.
  15. forks

forks still not dead

whatever
  16. andy_rocks

He has, so it better be outstanding after all this waiting. I look forward to it :D
  17. andy_rocks

Lol, so, every time a scientist makes a new discovery he or she should keep quiet about it, to avoid 'changing peoples minds' and possibly offending them?! I thought your old book encouraged science!

There would be no evolution if Darwin had listened to you! We'd still think the earth was flat! No modern medicine (who needs it when leeches work so well?), we'd still believe in witches, Einstein would've been fucked, but hey at least we wouldn't be 'concerning ourselves with the beliefs of others'!

'But it makes me happy' whine the religious, well I'm sorry, getting drunk/high makes me happy, but it isn't an explanation fr the universe, and I wouldn't want to live all my life in a delsion.

Imagine a world without jihad, without suicide bombings, without the middle east conflict, without western leaders praying for illegal wars, without the Sunnis/Shias going for each other in Iraq, without US religious cults organising mass suicides etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Imagine if all the time and money wasted on the worship of nonexistent idols were diverted to science and art and research and music and philosophy...think how much further we could've come! Relgion teaches you that 'faith' (ie believing in something without any evidence) is a positive attribute, it isn't! It's a terrible, restrictive, nonsensical attitude that has done much to harm to progress of humanity.

You've made the first step by embracing evolution Joe....you could still make a good scientist ;)
  18. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

it's actually getting faster.
  19. forks

forks still not dead

imagine all the people living lives of ease........
  20. Ness

Ness Registered User

:clap: