Pointless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by loopyloosy, Nov 23, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base

1 can be proved the other is fiction
  2. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Obviously I agree, but Joe believes the old testament, in fact he refers to it as the only testament.

Unless he's going to hit me with that most pathetic baton of religious arguments: the 'that bit never really happened' line.
  3. JIMI

lol
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

haha that looked too intellectual to be kerry ;)

British laws were designed for British society, Jewish laws were designed for Jewish society - as someone external to Jewish culture you may find their beliefs alien - but they have the right to practise their own strand of faith without your judgement.

There are actually sound medical benefits to circumcision, but thats straying off the point ;)

If a parent raises a child to the best of their ability, you can't question it... they may do it differently to how you would raise your own, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

Faith plays as a large a part in many families as politics and science do in yours, its not your place to tell them they can't raise their child religiously... to do so would be fascist.

According to my religion you wont go to hell, but who knows if my religion is the right one ;)
  5. Yosef Ha'Kohain

have you read the Torah or are you repeating something your professor said in class?
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I'd like you to cite your sources and provide translations in their correct context... if you're going to compare hashem to hitler.
  7. JIMI

If a parent raises a child to the best of their ability, you can't question it... they may do it differently to how you would raise your own, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

so now ure saying my parents brought me up right ?
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

haha you're quite devious for someone i keep mistaking for an idiot ;)

Jimi your father is a nazi and although you hold some views that sicken me... to my knowledge you don't go round "paki bashing".... so although i hate to say it they probably have done a good job.

I know kids from similar families who are total fucking scum.
  9. JIMI

nah mate i really am thick as fuck
  10. andy_rocks

I'm studying immunology and genetics, religion has nothing whatsoever to contribute experimentally to these fields; no, this was me daydreaming.

Are you telling me that your interpretation of your book is that G-d did not order the killing of all the eldest children of families of other religions, and that he did not facilitate the killing of the people of Jericho; again due to their relgiions?

If He exists....He's done things that would see mere mortals in war crimes tribunals :up:
  11. JIMI

yeah but he turned water into wine and fed 500 fuckers with bread and fish and they all rejoiced

well i wish i was there as i dont liek fish unlesss its cooked in a certain way and hate red wine

id prefere a nice kebab n a can
  12. andy_rocks

Joe doesn't believe that bit - he believes the old testament though - the new testament is harmless fun next to the criminality in the old testament.
  13. JIMI

how can u pick and choose when it comes 2 the bible

i
  14. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

15. andy_rocks

16. Yosef Ha'Kohain

You've taken themes from a text you've never read, so there is no understanding of the context in which they appeared (nor of the actual text itself).

Neither were killings based on religion?!?!? To suggest so shows a huge ignorance towards one of the most influencial scripts of mans history.

When hashem passed/hovered/whatever over egypt he took the lives of the first born because the egyptians were keeping the Israelites in bondage (after killing all the new born a few years earlier).... How can you compare this to the unprovoked murder of 6 million in the holocaust?

Similarly Jericho had nothing to do with religion, in the biblical world it was widely accepted that people had the right to worship their own g-d (it is argued that many jews would of believed in rival g-ds - but they would of worshiped hashem)... These were a warring people in a violent era - again fuck all like the unprovoked slaughter of 6 million.
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

The Jewish bible is different to the christian bible.

Christians added the new testament, we don't believe that Yeshua/Jesus was the messiah as he didn't fit any of the criteria prophesised.

The first half of the christian bible is ok, but all that is new - isn't true ;)
  18. Yosef Ha'Kohain

19. andy_rocks

It's a question and answer session; where American university students confront a hugely respected scientist.
  20. andy_rocks

Even if I accepted this interpretation, they are still quite appalling acts.

If a man today invaded a city, and killed everyone inside it he would be a war criminal, and I would call him a cunt. If he murdered the children of people responsible for oppression, this is a sickening and unjust reprisal. Dawkins cites the survery of 1000 israeli children, of which a majority believe the massacre at Jericho was justifiable :eek:

Surely it can't be right that we're indoctrinating children with this?

I mean, it takes me back to my school days....chanting "Onward Christian soliders", "Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho" et al.....we shouldn't be celebrating such things??