Northumbria University

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emma_Clare, Jul 3, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Doctor Hew

Doctor Hew Registered User

Definitely go to Northumbria. Sunderland and Teesside are very poor universities. At least Northumbria has some form of recognition from respected bodies, such as The Times, The Guardian, etc. It won 'Best New University' a few years ago.

English is a pretty generic degree which allows you to do a lot of things, as has been pointed out. It's a good choice of degree, particularly if you're leaving full-time employment to begin studying.. If you do well (first or higher second class), that will put you in a position for doing a MA at a good Russel Group/Red-Brick should you wish to do so.
  2. Doctor Hew

Most people you see on television have English degrees (comics, presenters, news readers, etc, etc.). Most people in good bands have English degrees. A lot of the royal family have English degrees. Examples, of course, but you get the picture. A degree in English is a great choice.
  3. princess jane

princess jane Registered User

If you really want to go into journalism I'd jack the English degree and do the National Council for the Training of Journalists course at Darlington.

English degrees are a good foundation but don't teach you shorthand and media law which are essential for journos.

I'd also start allowing yourself £5 a week to live on and encourage your friends to insult you daily, to give you an idea of the shit wages and the grief dished out with them.
  4. Renzo

Renzo

Northumbria won the best new University award in 2005 and has a growing reputation nationwide, plus you get to take the piss out of the little daddys girls and rugger buggers over the road at Newcastle Uni.
  5. Renzo

Renzo

Hmmm not too sure how accurate this quote is but i know for an absolute fact that the minimum wage in a national newspaper is 25k for journo's (obviously admin etc. get less) maybe for local papers it is different. I think a degree in anything related to Journalism is a good start so English would be ideal.
  6. Renzo

Renzo

And as for people insulting you all the time i think you've been watching too many England football press conference's a lot of people really need the media to survive, charity's, local organisations, schools etc. so im sure you'll find people are more friendly to you than you might think.
  7. princess jane

I am a journalist on a local paper.

I earn nowhere near £25k.

And that is still a rubbish wage considering a journalist on a national will probably have several years of experience under their belt and have studied for two years.
  8. princess jane

Again, I am a journalist, we do get a lot of grief.

Many organisations need the media when they have good news to publicise but when we are investigating things they don't want us to know it is a very different story.
  9. princess jane

Just out of interest Renzo which news group do you work for?
  10. Doctor Hew

You don't need one for anything, unless you really want to be an English academic, but it certainly helps you get somewhere. Journalism is another one. Most good journalists with highly respected newspapers/publications have English degrees, not Journalism degrees.

The royal family are all more intelligent than you, and I only used them as an example to demonstrate how broad an English degree was. It's a good subject to study, it isn't the easiest to study, so you're demonstrating you at least have some intelligence if you can get a good degree, and because of its lack of specificity, it should open quite a few doors afterward.
  11. Doctor Hew

That's because the media in general are a group of parasites who can be manipulated. Happy to publicise something if they're getting paid/the sun shone up their arse, but equally as happy to write inaccurate and ludicrous drivel when they're not.
  12. Renzo

Renzo

Yeah i see what you mean, i guess a lot depends on what sort of journalism you do, im not for a second suggesting it is a bed of roses but i don't think its quite the crappy job you think it is. And plus is getting up peoples noses not just part of the job?
  13. Renzo

Renzo

The Royal family.... intelligent... are you taking the piss? Prince Harry must be the thickest royal ever, if he's not out on the piss that is. You call jopurnalists parasites yet you seem to idolise the biggest parasites of all... the royal family.
  14. Renzo

Renzo

When did you graduate? My flat mate graduated in Multimedia last year.
  15. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

liar, i saw nothing but joy in your face as you polished your AK and checked your kevlar for holes.

you fucking love the violence
  16. Doctor Hew

1. I used the royal family as an example to demonstrate the wide range of people who have English degrees.

2. I never said the royal family were intelligent, I said they were more intelligent than Oasis.

3. Your degree (from a polytechnic?) has clearly gone to waste if your powers of deduction lead you to believe that I idolise the royal family, from my previous two posts.
  17. Renzo

Renzo

That again is highly inaccurate, when has the media ever been paid for a story?
  18. Doctor Hew

The media are occasionally paid to give biased and positive publicity for a product/service/subject/object/etc. If you believe otherwise, you're clearly deluded. I also mentioned such 'coverage' in the instance of the media having the sun shone up their arse, I never once suggested that publications are always paid to give positive publicity.
  19. Renzo

Renzo

Oasis must be thick as fcuk if he's less intelligent than Prince Harry and i think you'll find Northumbria is a University and has been since 1992 and i really cant see what my degree has to do with your love of the royals.
  20. Doctor Hew

I think it probably has indirectly. For example, it proves your level of stupidity in that you seem to believe that I am a monarchist. Tell me, have you ever met Prince Harry? Regardless of how pointless the monarchy are, Prince Harry went to the best public school on the planet, so I'd bet on him being more intelligent than you. And yes, that really was the point of my humorous little jibe at Oasis there.

You're being awfully picky, but I should probably expect that from a journalist. I apologise, a former polytechnic.
  21. Renzo

Renzo

Nope sorry mate you live in a fantasy world, the media don't get paid for stories... not sure who's been telling you fibs.

Tell me this... if the media get PAID to print favourable news.

Would we have heard about the recent foreign prisoner scandal?

Would we be constantly reminded of how bad the NHS is?

Would we have discovered that there were no WMDs in Iraq?