Dawkins getting slaughtered

Discussion in 'Fun Stuff' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, May 13, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

What are you gibbering on about of course religion explains the origin of existence, thats its fucking purpose!

As for morality, that's a joke; Science does not provide mankind with moral values, science explains how thinks work. Scientists are forever creating incredible advancements that can either enrich or destroy lives... It is then up to mankind to then use these disocveries morally.

Traditionally man has turned to religion for these values, as if you subscribe to a true darwinian mindset there is no such thing as free will or accountability as we are all envirnoment driven.

On a side note in the last 200 years far more people have died in the name of science and athieism than religion. Fact.
  2. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

I find this fascinating, let me totally separate your 'faith' opinion from your 'science' opinion for one moment.

You say you're not of the Jewish fact - well, fine but I'm asking for your 'fact' now.

What is your cold, scientific, evidence-based, opinion of the likelihood of the existence of any god? Based on a standard of evidence you would be happy to accept from Dawkins or the Ayatollah or whoever else. Again, I'm not asking about your faith, we know what that is, I'm asking about your ultimate scientific opinion - a purely rational thought process based only on high quality evidence and rational reasoning.
  3. forks

forks still not dead

far more people have died in the past 200 years in the name of nationalism than in the name of either science or religion. fact.

and Dawkins wasn't thrown to the lions the (pagan) romans did that to the christians in the name of religion. fact.

and there is a god. not fact
    and there is no god. not fact

and arguing about it won't make one appear (or disappear) fact

and none of it matters until someone starts trying to tell someone else how to live their life based on 'faith'
  4. Craig_M

Craig_M Registered User

This isnt the News section lads, are you's trying to take over the whole forum, section at a time? :lol:
  5. Rob

Rob Registered User

Would you be comfortable with teaching a child a religion as fact? I don't think I would be happy to tell a child that any religion or faith was right or wrong.
  6. andy_rocks

;)

[​IMG]
  7. Rob

Rob Registered User

Satan is a pussy to be fair.
  8. andy_rocks

9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

You seem unable to think in an unscientific mode, faith is not a question of science... Why do you continuelyl confuse the two?

No scientist can prove or disprove G-d... Just as no religious man can prove or disprove G-d....why must you repeatedly go over the same ground?

you asking me to scientifically prove G-d exists is as idiotic as me asking you to scientifically prove he doesn't.
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Dawkins being a prime example.

In the last 200 years communists in Russia and China killed more people because they held religious beliefs than the other way around.
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

No jewish child is tought that religion is fact, in jewish faith schools we are taught everything from evolution to genesis (bereishis)... the child then forms his own opinion.

But the child is taught that these are his parents beliefs.... just as you were taught your parents beliefs at your school.
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

which 10 people does satan kill in the torah?
  13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

No, please, do not mistake passion, which can change its mind, for fundamentalism, which never will. Passion for passion, an evangelical Christian and I may be evenly matched. But we are not equally fundamentalist. The true scientist, however passionately he may “believe”, in evolution for example, knows exactly what would change his mind: evidence! The fundamentalist knows that nothing will. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He just makes up definitions!

If Osama Bin laden changes his mind does he stop being a fundamentalist? dawkins is a crackpot.
  14. Rob

Rob Registered User

What are my parents beliefs that I was taught?

We had very little RE in any school I attended beyond signing Christian hymns up to the age of 12 and being a shepherd in the nativity when I was about 6. It would have been stupid for the comp I attended to teach any single religion as a main focus because the kids were far too diverse in faith and origin. We were more likely to be discussing the probability of Jesus being black than the if he was the son of God in RE.

Unless the belief you refer to is science? In which case it's a fair cop because they drilled it into my head. :p
  15. Rob

Rob Registered User

I was asking you what your opinion is, not what your culture dictates.

I hope the two are not inseparable.
  16. forks

forks still not dead

if bin laden were to change his mind he would most certainly stop being a fundamentalist. The defining carachteristic of a fundamentalist is a set of unchangeable beliefs to which (s)he is utterly committed. By definition they have no doubts.
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

The English language, English values, English history, etc.
  18. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I will teach my child in the Jewish tradition just as you will teach yours in the British.

Its like me saying why wont you teach your child Zulu?
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Thats nonsense, a fundamentalist in the religious context is someone who goes back to the religions fundamentals - it was coined at the beginning of the last century by American christians.

It has nothing to do with unchangable beliefs?!?!? In recent years it has taken on new characteristics but this has nothing to do wih changable beliefs.... Osama is always changing his values ands alligning himself with different people.

To suggest that a fundamentalist stops being fundamentalist when their views change is absurd as it is human nature to revisit ones beliefs and every fundamentalist does this.
  20. Rob

Rob Registered User

That's because in all probability that child will live in Britain. If I moved to a new country to bring up a child the teachings would be at least partly based on its traditions and I would feel no need to preserve the child's Britishness for the sake of heritage. I could not care less about passing on the British traditions but I would be happy to help the child understand them if it asked.

I don't define myself as British.