COSMIC BASTARD FUCKING BALLROOM CUNTS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carson, May 16, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Gary Proud

Gary Proud Registered User

No.... ?
  2. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Yep, agree with all that ..... i doubt anyone can REALLY complain about something being professionally run or not, when what is essentially a business agreement has not been carried out the right way. That way as soon as some idiot turns the music down or the mixer is broken etc etc, you can wave a contract or some kind of documentation in their face.

.... Unless there was a united front, or a bunch of people who have had their fingers burned did something about it .................... yep, its a bunch of internet whingers ;) :lol:
  3. james909

james909 Registered User

So true there is very little money in local partys.

Best just to do for the love of the party/music in venue's with owners you can trust.

Thats what we do and don't get ripped or lose loads of money.

Know as well the venues make alot of profit off the crowd which you pull in so use that to get venue costs down once you have an established crowd.

Also talk to people who know about sound before jumping in to venues with out sound techs and wondering why red lineing a djm600 has blown some speakers and cost you more money and made the sound awful.
  4. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

nail on head.

I've been looking at doing an event with a mate. Both of us currently play the same commercial club outside of town and we've been looking at doing either a credible night with local guests or a student night with some slightly more commercial music.

Only difference from the above is that we've gone into this with our eyes open and realised that there's no point when there's a lack of decent venues and places like the ballrooms are pulling a fast one. We've listened to other promoters and friends involved with nights in newcastle, and whilst we've quickly sounded out a few venues, we've decided it's not worth trying.

We've gone with the student night idea in the club we currently work at, and because the management bend over backwards to help us out, the sound gear is sorted, and the doormen/staff are sound, we've never had any bother. It's a marked contrast from the above.

At the end of the day, in this climate, Cosmic can only afford to piss off so many local promoters. True, there will be always someone wanting to try their hand at being the next big night, but there isn't an endless supply of people willing to pay the current rates to get shafted.
  5. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

blazing saddles? :lol:

EDIT: Google says yes!
  6. Geoff Leotard

Geoff Leotard Registered User

Stu Hedley Lamarr?
  7. graham

graham Registered User

Fair enough mate, glad to hear it tbh i was just making an assumption as noticed that i hadn't seen any more events listed. Thats why i had phrased it as 'seems to have taken a step back' as wasnt sure :)
  8. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i remember when the ballrooms were real competition for digital (hence the great promotion wars of 2007-8) i doubt it will ever get like that now. digital has taken over.
  9. Carson

Carson Registered User

£600 according to Owensy for a Friday
  10. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG never paid that much for it did they? big risk to break even!
  11. Carson

Carson Registered User

12. adam.

adam. kthxbi

thats only 60 ppl tho, sureley they had more than that in ?
  13. Micko_Harriso

Micko_Harriso Say Energy!!

There was a few upstairs 20 / 30 (its very vague tho so dont quote me on that)

Didnt even venture downstairs tho
  14. graham

graham Registered User

I'm gutted i missed it tbh, would have loved to have seen WHOSAIDTHAT.....

:lol:
  15. adam.

adam. kthxbi

'who said that ?' 'what ?' 'a shite dj name thats what'
  16. Gary Proud

If only it was so easy...

It dont work like that for most. People book a night on the basis hard work & decent numbers will break them even... IF there lucky maybe earn them a small profit. I know the past few times I've personally held events at the WHQ & Uni most of the overheads I had to cover were relying on folk coming as I simply didn't have the £2500+ to front the costs.

Sometimes it doesn't always work out for promoters & although a club can look fairly busy with a few hundred folk in, everyone having a good time etc... the reality of it is that you've probably just covered your DJ's fee & promo costs with the people thats through the doors. That extra 60 through the door then turns into a mountain to climb & your left with £600 worth of club costs to deal with.
  17. Gary Proud

...I cant believe it's £600 to rent that place out now ?

Edit: I cant believe people pay it!

The Uni was a little extra, but built into the costs you got mail shots of your event promo sent to all registered students, all your Promo allowed up around the Uni (they even went out on the street dishing out flyers!) Sound Techs, Lighting Techs, full set up provided, doorstaff & Bar Staff - all proves priceless when theres just a few of you doing an event.
  18. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

It's definitely one of the best venues in Newcastle.

Why don't more people put more stuff on in there?
  19. graham

graham Registered User

Who said that??...................

Terrible :lol:
  20. Gary Proud

Id go as far as to say it's THE best Venue in town.

But the place is a nightmare to book mate, available dates are only released quarterly which are normally snapped up with live acts & bands etc... we pestered & pestered to get a date outside the scheduled 3 month intake & got lucky.