Cam phones and Cars

Discussion in 'Photos' started by WebbA, Apr 30, 2004.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. ussrpatriot

ussrpatriot Registered User

If you hit someone at 70, is that somehow better? What about 71? Where do you draw the line?

As I am sure you are all aware, on the Autobahns of Germany (some of them anyway), there is no speed limit and you are only restrictedby traffic laws. If you hit someone on one of those, at 120, would it be murder? NB, the fast lane speed on autobahns is at times 120-130.

I do not think that the ruling of a parliament 20 odd years ago to impose a speed limit on motorwayschanges the moral implications of the speed you choose to drive ( as opposed to the personal ramifications ).

Revenue for police should come from taxing the rich. Damn straight.

As a side note, on the way down to Birmingham on the M42, the slow lane was travelling 100. I was passed in the above by a police Subaru Impreza doing at least 130, without flashing lights, siren, etc. Just because the copper was authorised to do it, does it make his actions any less likely to kill?
  2. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

As much as speeding is reckless and dangerous, and yeah... people get killed all the time....

.... i cant help but notice the heavy irony here considering what kind of activities they get up to on weekends and the reckless disregard to the potential effects on others.

Give the guy a break.
  3. Fa Kin Su Pah

Fa Kin Su Pah Registered User

have you ever dealt with the carnage thats left after an accident at that speed
    i have
    hope you never have to see it :evil: :evil:
  4. ussrpatriot

ussrpatriot Registered User

No, I haven't. I also hope I never have to. However, I have experienced first hand the dangers of alcohol abuse. I am sure the corresponding dangers from some illegal drugs are far more severe. I don't see much negativity towards that culture on these boards, but the cost to society as a whole is much higher.
  5. Glitter Angel

Glitter Angel Registered User

:eek:

did you have a common sense bypass at birth???

jesus :(
  6. Rob

Rob Registered User

If people choose to drink too much the worst thing they are likely to do to me is use up some of the NHS's budget when their liver packs in.

If people choose to drive at dangerous speeds on the roads the worst thing they are likely to do to me is kill me, my friends or my family.

How on earth can you not see the difference? I don't see all speeding as evil and reckless, there are situations where I speed but doing that speed whilst using your mobile is as stupid as defending it.
  7. GeordieLee

GeordieLee Registered User

To a certain degree alcohol and drug abuse can be said to be self inflicted. I very much doubt any of us would choose to be run over by a bloke doing 100mph while using his phone. There's a massive difference.

I thought u were supposed to be some sort of genius?! :spangled:
  8. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

I do not at all condone that kind of speed in an environment where it is clearly dangerous, and indeed stupid to the point of taking a photo of it..but..why does everybody automatically that speeders kill children??

Speed in itself isn't where the real danger lies, it has to be coupled with some other factors to actually make it dangerous. Fair enough, in this situation it can clearly be deemed to be dangerous, but to generalise everybody who speeds into the same catagory is just silly and most definatley wrong.

Pretty stupid driving along that kind of road that fast though, you never know whats round the next bend!

Exactly. But this doesn't always come down to stupid speeds, two people were killed a few years ago on a road near my house, they hit an on coming car and neither car was deemed to be driving dangerously. Speed is only as dangerous as the guy behind the wheel alot of the time. By many notes you could deem anything over 40mph to be a dangerous speed, as thats easily fast enough to kill someone.
  9. Fa Kin Su Pah

Fa Kin Su Pah Registered User

ok ppl
    ive heard all the arguments

i have in my time had to deal with many,many fatal accidents
    where innocent ppl have been killed minding their own business going about their day to day business
    i have had to pick up the pieces (literally)
    and go and tell the relatives most of the time

so nobody will convince me that speed is safe
  10. Rob

Rob Registered User

Totally agree Chris, there are many factors to take into account such as weather, amount of traffic, road surface, time of day, capability of the car you are driving etc etc....

You have to accept though that the faster you go the more likely it is that if you do have an accident that you will kill somebody.
  11. Glitter Angel

Glitter Angel Registered User

which goes to show that driving a car is extremely dangerous at the best of times and driving at speeds that are well beyond the limit of most peoples reaction times is beyond words..

speed limits are based on how long it takes a driver to react to a potential oncoming hazard and how safe, baring in mind the stretch of road, it would be to bring the car under control.
  12. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

Oh yeah, thats totally right, nobody in their right mind would dispute that!

Hmm not sure i agree that driving a car is extremely dangerous at the best of times. Potenially hazardous yes, but certainly not extremely dangerous. As a matter of interest, can/do you drive?

True with the speed limits though, but thats not always the case. There are some single track roads with speed limits of 60mph near my house, and you can only see as far as the next bend! If what you say is completely true then surely there would have to be different speed limits for different times of the day/different conditions. France uses this, where the speed limit is lower if it is raining.

Personally I don't see a vast danger at driving at say 100mph down an empty, long, dry dual carraigeway/motorway, where you can see hundrerds of feet ahead of you. Doing that on a twisty road however, which has almost the same speed limit, is just wreckless and stupid. And its thanks to these morons that I have to pay so much for car insurance!
  13. iamian

iamian Registered User

i was under the impression this was on a normal road, not a motorway, that makes a big differance.

who gives you the right to put other peoples lives in danger jus cos you're late or like the excitement of speed?

i hope i don't have to drive much in newcastle if this is the attitude of the locals :down:
  14. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

Think the scariest thing is the original post, did he expect us to go "well done have a medal?" or try to post pictures of our own speedos?

You could aruge about speed limits all day, truth is everyone should be aware that speeding is potentially life treatening, and unless say carried out on a specified track (Rally tracks etc.), its not something to shout about...

No one has congratulated him on such a good picture, or for going at that speed, but i think thats what he was after, praise... If he percieves the promise board peeps as the type of people to offer congratulations on such a dangerous achievement, then something is wrong!

He really has no clue.
  15. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

me going.. nowhere :cool:

Attached Files:

16. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

u wanker, how could you!;)
  17. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

so fucking stupid :doh:
  18. GeordieLee