Strangest religion

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Feb 11, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Strangest religion

Us heebs always get branded as strange, but we don't have shit on those zaney shiaa muslims:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. fiddla

fiddla Retired

wtf :spangled: crazy , any idea wot thats all in aid of ???
  4. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

The Jews still mutilate their children of course, they just save it for their genitals rather than their faces ;)
  5. andy_rocks

6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Andy circumcision prevents aids... whats strange about protecting yourself from a disease that threatens to wipe about our existence?
  7. andy_rocks

It's strange to have been doing it for 3000 years before HIV virus even entered humans, and even stranger to resort to surgery when mere condoms are much more effective ;)
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Andy do you install anti-virus software on your computer before or after it has been infected?
  9. andy_rocks

:lol: What an analogy. :lol:

I don't install a virus checker on a computer in the year 5000BC when the virus it stops isn't going to appear until 1950AD, especially if it risks the computer to install it every time.

When it does appear, I don't pick a virus checker that only stops 50% of viruses instead of 90-95%, with the more effective virus checker not risking the computer.

But then I'm not religious, and I still don't really understand the thought process of the religious mind :lol:

Your arguments shit, you may as well say that you should remove everyones appendix, colon, stomach, legs and throat etc at birth in case they get ill later :lol:

Circumcision is a peculiar case of ritual cosmetic surgery, not unlike this slashing. I think it's wrong partly for the unnecessary risks and pain the child gets as a result, and partly I think a child branded with the stigmata of a particular religion might find it harder to migrate to a different one later, as is their right. Thus, I oppose it for exactly the same reasons as I oppose the the slashing of childrens foreheads by Shia Muslims, but no religious ritual really surprises me any more.

Saying 'it prevents HIV' is stupid, because condoms have been around for longer than HIV has, and if used properly give you around 95% protection which is far better than the putative 50% from circumcision. Also, circumcision doesn't protect the woman if you're infected, but a condom will. Also, doesn't Judaism teach that you have to stick with the first woman you have sex with? If you're that worried about getting HIV that you're prepared to have surgery, then just get an HIV test each first, and provided you're both negative you'll be quite safe I imagine.
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Why would you say that? HIV is one of the biggest threat known to humanity and an ancient practise can can help safeguard one from infection... There seems no logic to the act of circumcision and while there are recorded instances of pre-Abrahamic semitic people engaging in the act; it seem's bizarre to have it as one of the most important commandments.

Whatever your thoughts on religion, you cannot escape the fact the Jews have been practising a bizarre act that modern science is only just understanding the value of.

When carried out on an infant it is one of the safest operations one can undergo and their are clear medical benefits.

There are no medical benefits for whipping youself with chains and slashing your forehead.

Sadly not everyone uses condoms and theres no way of ensuring your offspring will not get drunk at a party and sleep with the local harlot... As a parent I would go to every length I could to protect my childs health.
  11. andy_rocks

If God really wanted to reduce the risk by a half of Jewish people contracting a virus that was not going to appear until long after scientists had developed far better ways of protecting against it, then I'm sure he could've done better than ordering surgery for every newborn male. How about just not giving us foreskins? How about not creating HIV? How about a minor modification to our immune systems to enable us to wipe it out?

This is too ridiculous to argue further, sorry Joe :lol:
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

In continuation to that argument: if there is a G-d why is there suffering, why don't we live forever, why do we feel emotional pain?

The religious answer is simple, Hashem created an 'imperfect' world for the advancement of his creations; the parent of a baby that has taken ill, gives that child some medicine despite knowing that baby's going to cry even more upon drinking that foul potion; but he still forces the infant to drink as he knows the suffering the child experiences is short lived and the results are better for the baby in the long term.

We are in essence G-d's partners in creation, he has created a world that can not only heal itself but advance itself.

You continuelly ask the predictable question and then for some unbeknown reason gloat about the questions a 5 year old could of concoted. :rolleyes:
  13. andy_rocks

14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

15. Yosef Ha'Kohain

what does this have to do with religious leaders?!?!?

This isn't religious teachings, its the reaction of a society that feels threatened by the west.
  16. andy_rocks

The story of those people is incredibly interesting. I mean, they've seen that people using a radio are able to summon planes of magical things - so they think if they pray using something similar it will happen to them. It shows the propensity of the human mind to resort to religion and the supernatural to explain things over rationality.

What they are doing is absolutely no more or less irrational than any other religion.

I was particularly amused by the irony and absolute gall of the quote:

"Those people are holding on to a dream that will never come true"
    Christian youth worker

(who I presume is waiting for the second coming/apocalypse/heaven etc etc etc)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

roffle, we all know he hasn't come yet! :up:
  18. Leon

Leon Non Board Moderator

Joe,
    I know you and I class you as one of my good friends, and I respect you and your religion. But, and there is always a but, you are an educated guy and I am to, but do you REALLY believe in your religion??

(Just as a really poor example) aztecs believed sacrifcing people would bring a good harvest that year, keep the sun god rising every day, in ancient times the greeks/aztecs/incacs/egyptions (the most advanced anciet civilisations), had moon/sun/sea/wind gods etc. which they had to 'keep sweet' in order for the covenant to survive.

These most advanced ancient religions (apart from the obvious ones, but u know what i am getting at) have been now proved by science and general common sense to be ludacris, (hehe). At what point in modern times are followers of any religion going to realise that any sort of god is a work of ancient fiction, and holds no power (other than by fanatics) will religion be anything other than a 'fall guy' per say ??

I do not have the answer to how the world/universe was made/formed but do you really believe it was created by ONE supreme power??. As for all the other religions around the world, they all believe 'their god' created the world. So does this on it's own not denounce that the universe/world/earth was created by one divine 'god'??

Joe I want an awesome (non waffle, laymans terms) response. :D :D
  19. scruf

scruf Registered User

Very much aligned with my own sentiment after reading that article....

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawkins-Delusion-Alister-McGrath/dp/0281059276/sr=8-1/qid=1171805922/ref=pd_ka_1/203-6719048-1876724?ie=UTF8&s=books"]The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine: Amazon.co.uk: Alister McGrath, Joanna Collicutt McGrath: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cnlplDecL.@@AMEPARAM@@41cnlplDecL[/ame]

Incidentally, I saw this in Waterstones the other day Andy, it thought you might appreciate it, I choked when I read some of the reviews :lol:

:lol: :lol:
  20. Yosef Ha'Kohain

i can't really respond in laymans terms, but I've gone over this theme a while ago - I'll repost my interpretation of my religion then ellaborate:

--

When considering the conception of the Universe cosmological consensus would imply that there existed an incredible profusion of energy, it is this energy that caused our Universe to come into existence and this same energy that constructs the present.

To better understand the implications of the above statement we must explore Einstein's equation: E=mc², which states that the energy (E) within something is equal to the inertial mass (M) of that thing multiplied by the speed (C) of light squared, this means that anything with mass also has energy (on an incogitable level). As a consequence we are not just surrounded by energy; we are made out of energy.

Once our Universe had come into existence the laws of thermodynamics ensured that within this space-time continuum energy is eternal, with this knowledge we can conclude that any energy in existence today (both kinetic and potential) was also here at the dawn of time.

In an age of mortality this is an enchanting revelation; generations of secular logos has instilled in us a belief that after death there lies nothing, yet this modern concept of energy introduces us to a new school of thought: not only were we here at the beginning of time - but we shall also be here at the end.

It is the eternal nature of energy that nudges the discourse into a spiritual dimension, Ein Sof is a Kabalic term that is used to loosely describe G-d; literally meaning "without end", this description correlates with our understanding of energy… However, while energy may be G-dly; it is not G-dlike as it relies on external laws and forces to incarnate itself as matter.

An occidental conditioned mindset may grapple with the concept of a deity as the evolution of secularism has instilled a great distrust in that which logic cannot explain, yet the more enlightened man becomes the more perceptive he is to theories of an extraneous evolutionary catalyst.

"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. " – Albert Einstein

Material existence is reliant upon an enigmatic force which scientists have clumsily branded 'energy', yet this nugatory noun fails to capture the entirety of the subject which brought about our existence and defines our future. To declare this force a G-d is too great a compliment as there are strict laws controlling its behaviour, while isolating it in the scientific domain detracts from the entirety of this omnipresent entity. Personally, I like to think of it as an extension of an incomprehensible presence, an extension which is best described as the pabulum of existence.

--

From the above you would be safe to assume that my G-d (and the G-d of most Jews) lacks the mortal qualities ascribed to the ancient G-ds of the people you described, but rather it is an incomprehensible force that sparked existence.

When you ponder on why rational thinkers project spiritual tendencies, you correlate their G-d with your own primitive interpretation of historical G-ds... The reality is there lies a huge chasm betweem your perception of a G-d and Judaisms interpretation of it's G-d.

When we talk fo a G-d, we don't think of a bearded dude sitting in a cloud zapping those that are stupid enough to eat pork; we think of the laws of nature, the conception of matter, the harmony that resonates throughout existence... But these are not my thoughts, it is the sentiment of the great Jewish sages that lived thousands of years ago; long before the era of science.
  21. Yosef Ha'Kohain