Newcastle top of the 'soviet state' list

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by BRID, Mar 15, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

I dont dispute that alot of people do it - im just saying for the most part, and for most londoners.... the lifestyle is unobtainable.

the price of our shitty goods and services is a laughing stock with other countries ..... i just dont see whats so good about london compared with other, cheaper, countries.
  2. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

So do I!

Brid, I earn a decent wage, I have a girlfriend who I am soon to move close to, and I love living in London.

In the 4 months I have been down here, I have been to the Tate Modern, the Science Museum, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Gallery, the Imperial War Museum, the V&A, a couple of wicked little indie cinemas, various markets (Borough, Spitalfields, Portobello Road).

You have an incredibly narrow minded view as to why people come to London. It doesn't have to be expensive- in fact, as long as you don't eat in The Ivy every night, or go drinking cocktails in Mayfair, I don't find it that much more expensive then drinking in Toyko or Apartment in Newcastle.

Honestly, you have the bitter outlook of a 55 year old.
  3. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Many other European cities are just as expensive though, particularly the capitals..
  4. scruf

scruf Registered User

You have a very misguided and genrealised 'grass is always greener' view of 'other countires' brid..

Try living in another country for any period of time or spending any time with the foreigners who flock to this peice of shit country and you'll quickly shed your parochial views and wake up to the fact that every nation in the world is creaking under the same strain as us, transport is as bad here as it is in every other country at a broad base level - you spout NIMBY bullshit about roads falling apart, lack of road building (the antithesis of congestion solution), lack of PT investment etc. but your crusading statements lack any factual information and are based on smart arse Clarkson esque assumptions of the world according to you..

As a tourist you only see the same snapshot as the tourists that come to london and vote the underground the number on MT system in the world..

I am seeing a Swedish girl at the minute, form a country which has apparently the highest standard of living in Europe, are the Swedes happy with massive taxation and massive state control? are their 'good and services' any better than ours? From what I hear from her and her friends they are not too different..

Yes there is a lot wrong in the UK, yes Japan and Hong Kong have amazing infrastructure and it's all very clean and pretty, but they funded them through means which are about to be introduced in the UK, means that you tear down as soon as they are suggested, you're completely devoid of any welcoming of policy inspiration or innovation, but you compare us to countries full of policy innovaters?

Closed wallet, open mouth.
  5. BRID

i must have imagined those crumbling roads on the M25 and alot of the motorways that enter/leave london - apologies.

dont really watch much tv, so cant really see how i compare to clarkson - although i hear he has alot of opinions on things.

never thought at the tender age of 27, with no assets, house or family - that i could be compared to a middle england NIMBY.

Have worked and lived with alot of foreigners thanks :)

Arm chair green liberalism is great down the pub, but unfortunately we need more roads, or massive investment in a public transport infrastructure that offers a real alternative ..... not everyone potters about in central london a few stops away from where they live, work and drink.

The asian public transport infrastructures werent built with punitive taxation - last time i hear they enjoyed a 20% or less income tax rate - unlike the 50-60% here. We already PAY the tax for the building of new roads - the problem is that only half that money is actually spent on the purpose of the tax itself.
  6. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

Is it really that surprising considering you have a negative view on absolutely everything?
  7. BRID

Ive modelled my life on that of Skeletor.

Either that, or i dont post on the news board unless i have strong views on a subject - take it or leave it hombre.
  8. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

the yuppies are fighting!!!!!!!!!

GET THE TABLES
  9. BRID

My red braces could leave a nasty red mark if twanged maliciously ;)

Are they still on WWE MOS? (The Dudleys) - It was all about Spike aiiight ;)
  10. forks

forks still not dead

driving out of new york on the new jersey turnpike (the one on the opening credits on the Sopranos) I was shocked at the state of it. It was worn out. two big grooves worn out where the cars ran. I havn't seen anything as bad since east german autobahns just after the wall came down.
    British roads are at least as good as the rest of Europe and the USA.
    What we haven't done is invest in public transport for the last 100 years.
  11. BRID

The M25 has grooves cut in it aswell, its shocking. Ive nearly totalled my car a number of times cause of them.

The french, german, spanish and austrian roads all seemed way better than ours ... although im limited to my small experience of them.
  12. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

no, they went somewhere else about a year ago i think. it went shite.

spike - he's the best, want to know what, check THIS out : http://www.ringoffaith.co.uk/ HE'S COMING TO NORTHUMBRIA UNI!!!!!!!!!!! i've GOTTA GO! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

You really dont have a clue!!!!! :lol:

I earn less than £20k, have alot of debts and have enough money live
    I'm 27 and I've been with my girlfriend for nearly 5 years
    I love boozing/clubbing/eating but I also go to museums/walks/'cultured stuff'. I drink in bars in Central London where i pay £5

The only thing i cant afford to do in London that i want to do is go and watch Spurs although if i cut out boozing etc then i could

You really do live in a fantasy world!!!
  14. BRID

I think your misinterpreting my point ;)

... of course its possible to have fun in london - but personally i just find it incredibly expensive compared to other cities ive been to.

.... a life in london like what you describe is merely a temporary one - my issue with it is that its impossible to get on with your life beyond your 'fun' twenties unless your seriously minted.

By that i mean kids, family etc etc.
  15. BRID

Thanks!!!!! :D
  16. scruf

scruf Registered User

The commuter belt around the M25 is home to some of the most banal domitory towns in the country.. completely devoid of both character and charm and usually populated by the kind of person that likes to wear 'driving gloves'...

Do you wear leather padded driving gloves when you take 'the alfa' out Brid?
  17. BRID

awww, personal insults. cute! :love:
  18. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

:lol: :lol: :lol:

While opening the 'taps' you mean?
  19. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

You are so old before your time it's embarassing.

Ever thought of just enjoying your life while you are still young?
  20. BRID

dude, im so hip - i was living out my twenties back when i was 14 ..... even though my physical age is 27, im actually in my early forties in terms of live experience.

Hence the bitterness.