HOW much for the Olympics?!?!

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by ManofScience, Mar 15, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. scruf

scruf Registered User

I travel 26 (13 one way) miles every day to work, and pay £105 a month for my oyster card zones 1-3… this means that if I don’t catch a single bus / tram / tube/ train to anywhere else in this 31 days other than work, that I pay £4.60 per day… or 17p per mile..

This is the equivelant of a train / car to Durham (13 miles) how much would you expect to pay for that? A lot more than £4.60 a day!

Then factor in all the times I go to Leytonstone, Shoreditch, Stokey, Tottenham Hale, Putney, Kilburn, Balham etc. to see my mates after work or trips out a weekend… further to this, add in the minimum £10er you pay in any UK city for a taxi home after a night out compared with the night bus - and its quite clear that the amount that London travel costs is paltry for what you get…

Brid – I’m on the road a lot with my job, similar to Vinny, I’ve not seen a crumbling road since the last time I was in Europe ;)
  2. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

I think the oyster cards represent excellent value- with my weeks travel card on it I can make unlimited tube/bus/train/DLR journeys as many times a day.

It's just using cash to pay for the tube that is the issue.
  3. scruf

scruf Registered User

Why would anyone use cash to pay for the tube? You just buy an Oyster Card on deposit and return it later?
  4. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

Well, I don't do it.

I didn't know you could do that.
  5. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

well i pay a fiver a day to drive to work - 25-30 odd miles from Sunningdale to Reading..... and thats driving a 2.0 litre Alfa that drinks petrol.

Yeah you gotta figure in the cost of the car into that, but i never bought the car for commuting originally so i dont factor that in much.

..... so compare that 25 minute drive, to an hour and a half to do the same trip on public transport, and it costs the same amount of money.

No wonder theres so many cars on the road with brain dead simple choices like that.
  6. LazMan

LazMan Registered User

I think it's comical how the government have told the building contractors that they have this extra £22 billion set to one side just incase they run into budgetory problems!!

The builders must be rubbing their hands together right about now!

It would be like turning up to buy a used car, telling Arfa Dailey that you've got 10 large to spend THEN asking how much it's gonna cost you. :monkey: :monkey:
  7. scruf

scruf Registered User

from what I can gather from the ES last night, most of this 'extra' money is for contingency.. in fact the vast majority is for contingency?
  8. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

The car simply should not be a comparable proposition to public transport in cost terms.

A saver single from Newcastle to Wakefield is about £20 which puts it on a par with the petrol + wear and tear.

When you start putting more people in the car, it becomes so much cheaper than the train that it is laughable.

It simply shouldn't be like that - I'm not saying jack petrol tax up even further - the train should be about a fiver for that kind of trip.
  9. BRID

Last night it was on the news that the government is dipping into Lottery money now to fund this - and have said that other countrywide schemes that formally benefitted from the lottery ..... wont.

Nice one eh .... not. The country suffers for Londons sake - a bit like with the Millenium dome eh. The government could have given every household in the country a computer with internet access with the same money.
  10. scruf

scruf Registered User

You misunderstand, I asked you what your solution was, not what you want.

What's your masterstroke for delivering this?
  11. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Yes they could, but we have no way of measuring satisfactorily the economic benefits that come from increased tourism and investment in the country and that part of London as a result. I simply don't think this is 'dead money' in the way that the Iraq war money is - I have no idea if finanacial gain from the olympics will outweigh this initial expenditure but it is pretty certain that it will offset a sizeable chunk of it in the short term.
  12. BRID

Take 10 billion quid and build new roads (only 2% of the UK landmass is used for roads) or start building a next generation high speed rail infrastructure - maglev or something.
  13. BRID

Economic benefits for ....... LONDON.

Tell that to some Nursery or Drop In Centre user up in Scotland when your trying to explain how the Olympics in London is far better for them, than their now non funded scheme.
  14. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

more businesses = more sales of products/more employees = more vat/income tax = more money in the treasury

Brid you are letting yourself down in this thread mate :wink:

Plus you could ask the question, how does a drop in centre in scotland help 8million in London?
  15. BRID

Pah - i aint trying to win anyone over .... theres PLENTY of people who think the Olympics is a monumental waste of money as it stands right now .... London Tonight on BBC1 last night was prime example.

..... Lottery money is being diverted away from alot of its regular outlets, and has been earmarked for the Olympics - it was on the beeb last night, and the New Labour/Liar MP who decided on it was defending herself over that decision. So money being spread around the country has been stopped for many, and instead has been shifted back down to the capital.

.... If anything, i would have supported the Olympics if they were anywhere other than London - Manchester/Birmingham for instance.
  16. BRID

The old 'attracting business that benefits you all' rhetoric never quite seems to pan out in reality.
  17. Phil Mitchell

Why? What difference would it make it to the 'rest of the country' if it were in Birmingham?
  18. BRID

Because i'd rather see investment spread around, than concentrated in the capital IF IF IF IF IF those horrific sums of money need to be spent.

Im all for trying to reduce some of the north south divide.

Hell... put the Olympics in Newcastle, or Edinburgh.... anywhere except london.
  19. Phil Mitchell

:lol: Birmingham isnt in the north

Manchester has had shit loads of redevelopment and had the commonwealth games. Leeds is now the 'financial capital of the north'. Newcastle is radically different to what it was 10 years ago. Birmingham has had a ridiculous amount of development in the city centre. Isnt it Londons turn (especially considering 8 million people live here)?
  20. RadioheadFan

RadioheadFan

Brid - you need to chill out fella, I strongly recomend a five hour session of listening to Radiohead non-stop without a toilet break.