HOW much for the Olympics?!?!

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by ManofScience, Mar 15, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Daz

Daz Registered User

Worth every penny in my view. If we have to spend that much on getting the World Cup in 2018 then i'm all for that aswell. It's gonna be so good for our country.

The amount of money being spent on replacing Trident is an absolute disgrace though, especially for something which we are never going to have to use.
  2. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

I can't wait for it:D
  3. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

your having a laugh. :lol:

i use the east coast mainline 3/4 times a week from york to london. both gner and virgin are a disgrace, so much so gner are not having their license renewed for the service.
  4. scruf

scruf Registered User

Virgin don't run up the east coast?

GNER being stripped of the franchise is based on finacial instability at Sea Containers, their trust company, nothing to do with the service :p

I get South West trains everyday and they are always punctual, can't complain with a train every 3 minutes though..
  5. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

what route?

... ive used them for 5 odd years and that certaintly isnt the experience ive had!
  6. confuzzled

virgin run newcastle - brum, not quite sure where the distinction between east coast and west coast line takes place, but i rarely have a pleasant journey on either a virgin or gner train.

the fact their trust company is financially instable tells me all i need to know about gner - that being that its management is not fit to run a mcdonalds franchise
  7. Miller

Miller Registered User

I was there on Wed! Fuck all there really, it's horrible round Dartford and that. Where exactly will the new stadium, etc be?

It was so obvious this would happen, just didn't think it would come out so soon! I was well happy when we got it, I just hope we don't fuck it up, and make ourselves a laughing stock of the world!
  8. scruf

scruf Registered User

Dartford's in Kent not East London, and yes it is a horrible place.
  9. scruf

scruf Registered User

What makes the journey so intolerable? I'm not doubting, just interested..

Sea Containers are one of the largest comapnies in the world, I think it's all the doing of private equity evil (crooks).. GNER are awful though, I agree..
  10. scruf

scruf Registered User

Vauxhall - Wimbledon .....Paul used to do Clapham Jct - Surrey every day and never had an issue...

Trust me, SW Trains are darlings compared to ONE Network from Liverpool St.. :fuming:
  11. confuzzled

moody un-helpful staff, dirty carriages, toilets that look like they have never been cleaned, the fact you are penalised financially if you cannot book your ticket 12 months in advance.

i don't know, maybe i'm just becoming grumpy with age, but i find my tolerance levels to be particularly low on trains - even more so if the carriage is noisy and i'm trying to work.
  12. BRID

The trains are a whole different ballgame when

1. you use them at rush hour times
    2. you use them daily or very frequently for work
    3. they cost you 250 quid a month for the 'pleasure' of standing upright on a packed train on the bit in betweek the carriges for your entire journey.

at other times im sure they are very pleasant and hassle free - but when you have to make 3 connections in the morning to be at work on time and theres ANOTHER delay for some inane reason on part of your journey for the thousandth time .... its one of the worst things in the world.

The tube in summer .... sheesh. You honestly couldnt transport livestock in the same conditions.
  13. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

Agreed, Clapham to Weybridge every day for 3 months- and not once was the train late, overcrowded or dirty.

Even using SW around London, to get into Waterloo, Vauxhall etc, they are always really punctual.

Still fucking hate using the train though, but when it's a matter of neccesity rather than choice, there's not really a great deal you can do.
  14. BRID

Coming out of london is always going to be 100 times less hassle prone though.

And that train (i got it alot) rarely went wrong - you were lucky ;)
  15. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

Yeah, I agree that I was lucky. Though every day I expected to turn up and it be cancelled, delayed etc- you wouldn't get that in somewhere like Switzerland or Germany.
  16. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

£3? Costs me £1 on my Oyster card
  17. BRID

The oyster card is a good idea - but rips off anyone who uses the transport system for occasional journeys ... tourists etc.

I never realised a single zone was a quid on oyster - its surprising that the cash amount is 3 times the size.

A quid is still too expensive - a public transport system should be cheap cheap cheap cheap.
  18. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

It's actually £4 now for a single journey.
  19. BRID

Shocking - a person on minimum wage has to work an hour and a half just to afford the trip to and from work ... and thats assuming their journey is for a single zone.
  20. eyeball

eyeball Registered User

It pisses me off that it costs the same to go from Covent Garden to Leicester Square (officially the shortest journey) as it does to go from one edge of zone 1 to the other.