does Israel have 'a right to exist"?

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by forks, Jul 24, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. forks

forks still not dead

if you showed isaac newton a digital watch he would be forced to conclude it had been made by a god. nothing in his science could explain how a tiny lump of stuff could produce a superbly accurate timepiece made from materials that no one knew.
    It's the same with the universe
    just because it is complex and it's workings unknown does not mean it was created by a deity.
    it seems amazing but this is just the universe we live in. it has to be like this to work is all. if it was different it wouldn't work so it wouldn't be here.
    course there could be others....
  2. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

what a cop out.
  3. French William

French William _________________

Well yes, the odds are huge... (it's not a qustion of odds or chance or science though if you ask me)

...but then you go and cite a statistician's wet dream. This example basically only exists to show that ANYTHING is possible given enough time. You've said the chances are almost impossibly infinite, and then brought up something that illustrates no matter how small the chance, there is still nonetheless A chance.
  4. French William

I agree. A boring unimaginative cop out no less. :down:
  5. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

The universe must have had a starting point, because it must have been around a finite amount of time - we know this, because had it been around an infinite amount of time, it would have reached thermal equilibrium by now.

I would direct the doubters to 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins for such a fascinating interpretation of the influence of genetics. Also, the Universe in a Nutshell by the aforementioned Hawking will provide you with some interesting information on theories of the start of the universe, and explain the alternate worlds (many dimensions) hypothesis better than I can here.

Studying the human body has convinced me we were not designed - why not have another coronary artery or 2 and stop heart disease? Why do the nerves in your retina go forward before they come back, leaving you with a blindspot? Why 2 kidneys and only 1 liver?

Most of these things don't make a difference from an evolutionary point of view - you generally only get heart disease long after you've reproduced - and in the parts before reproduction they don't give you a selective disadvantage.

I have never heard convincing evidence for the existence of God, nor the origin of such a being. However unlikely a few atomic interactions are (and considering the timescale and number of potential interactions involved, it doesn;t strike me as improbable in the least that some rare ones would happen) it is by far the most convinving explanation for life.
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Theres also A chance that I'll wake up tomorrow as the messiah, with a 36c cup chest and with the ability to speak fluent mandarin.... ;)
  7. French William

That's lovely Andrew. But you're getting galaxy confused with universe. :dunce:

Also, God isn't something that people need to prove, so don't be so arrogant as to think we need to give you evidence.
  8. French William

I certainly can't prove you won't! ;)
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

But these events didn’t have trillions of years to occur they had to be instantaneous of each other... which is why the likes of Hawking suggest there may of been some form of outside influence.

There are just too many coincidences for it to be coincidence... accounting something as gargantuas as the universe to chance is bad science... when an apple falls from a tree it is not chance, time itself is not chance, the science behind my computer is not chance.... Chance is yet another cop out ;)

To try and demonstrate the sheer magnitude of what you're suggesting I'll roughly quote Roger Penrose of Oxford University on the likelihood of the universe having usable energy (low entropy) at its creation:

"namely, an accuracy of one part out of ten to the power of ten to the power of 123. This is an extraordinary figure. One could not possibly even write the number down in full, in our ordinary denary (power of ten) notation: it would be one followed by ten to the power of 123 successive zeros! (That is a million billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion zeros.)

Even if we were to write a zero on each separate proton and on each separate neutron in the entire universe - and we could throw in all the other particles as well for good measure - we should fall far short of writing down the figure needed. The precision needed to set the universe on its course is to be in no way inferior to all that extraordinary precision that we have already become accustomed to in the superb dynamical equations (Newton's, Maxwell's, Einstein's) which govern the behavior of things from moment to moment."

If this truly is accountable to chance - then this is a greater miracle than any religious claims.
  10. forks

forks still not dead

surely saying 'god did it' is the ultimate cop out
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I can at least quantify my beliefs.
  12. RAVERBABY1980

RAVERBABY1980 hardcore to the bone

let em get on with it !!
    over 2000 years every country in the world has done the same thing !
    the british empire killed thousands
    the germans killed thousands
    the spanish killed thousands
    the dutch killed thousands
    the french killed thousands
    the scandinavians killed thousands
    the portuguese killed thousands
    the americans have killed thousands
    the turks have killed thousands
    the russians have killed thousands
    the chinese have killed thousands
    the mongolians have killed thousands
    the japanese have killed thousands
    and so on and so on ...
    its called life !!

some time in the very near future it will happen here ( believe me ) war will happen inside our own country between ethnic groups ...
    :argue:

Attached Files:

13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

:lol: :lol: :lol: :king:

no nonsense.