Will Breakbeat Trance ever become a genre in its own right??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doggie, Apr 30, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

Right so Hard Trance is the big thing now, and will continue to get bigger, but will Breakbeat Trance become bigger??

A few DJs now seem to be incorporating it into their sets:

John Kelly, Matt Hardwick and Armin Van Buuren

will it only be time before DJs are playing Breakbeat Trance sets? Or is it just one or two tunes per set??
    Will we see any Breakbeat Trance DJs emerging?? I know there is JDS, n PLump DJs, but they dont really DJ much!

Bouze u know more about breakbeat than most...

And what do people think of breakbeat trance tunes??

I love it, and hope it does get bigger!!
    :D
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Guest

lots of tunes have this break beat bit in the middle iot creates a difference in the tune so they dont all sound the same but now everytune is doing it.
  4. Rob

Rob Registered User

We came up with a new one on Friday when trying to describe Picottos style. "pop-techno" what do ya think guys?
  5. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

LOL@ Rob hehe "pop-techno!!"

For what I think is a wicked breakbeat trance tune, get hold of:

Unknown-Ray of Light (JDS Remix):D
  6. crashjim

crashjim

Do genres exist? Has it not just become a genre?? as you have just given a style of music a name. Ive just completed my final year dissertation on Marketing Strategies and Genres within Dance music! 'which made me miss the birthday'!!!!
  7. kalashnikov

kalashnikov Registered User

Mauro Picotto was playing mainly hard techno.

There are so many styles of techno it's crazy. It was by no means cheesy, nor was it slow like detroit or minimal. It's silly ever to call anything "commercial" to slag it off. Show me a DJ who plays for free and never aims to make any profit out of the industry. Commercial simply means making profit. From Britney Spears to DJ Rush, they're all at it. Some are a little more dedicated than others, but at the end of the day, money makes the world go round.

A banging hard techno set, using some of the better known tracks, but some lesser known tracks thrown in too.
  8. Guest

Breakbeat trance is the doggs!!! i love it! the best kind of breaks is the sort of thing lucian Foooooort plays! kinda hard techy breaks!! mmm lurvely :D :D :D
  9. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

The Bouzemeister has spoken!!:D
  10. G.H.

G.H. newcastlebeats.com

I wouldn't say the Plump DJ's were Breakbeat Trance, their just Breakbeat.
  11. SeniorChem Si

SeniorChem Si Registered User

I dunno - I wouldnt know what breakbeat is never mind breakbeat trance :confused: god it's co confusing with theses genres and sub-genres to get me head round - half the time hard trance sounds like hard house to me :confused: I just canna tell the difference half the time - I just know what I like when I hear it and its hard enuff remembering what the tunes called with a memory like a seive with holes in anyway :rolleyes:

... back to the point, I'm sure I keep hearing this term breakbeat in connection with me fave duo the almighty and divine Chemical Brothers! Is some of their stuff like on Surrender what you'd call breakbeat? And a lot of stuff like on Leftfield/Leftism sounds v similar to Chems/Surrender - is that breakbeat as well, if not what is it called???? *breaks down and weeps at the sheer difficulty of all this*

Came up with a new genre as well t'other week when Rich did Trance Classics: "Huggy Trance"... cool? stoopid? should I just fuck off til I can talk sense? :D:D:p
  12. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

I dont know Plump DJs stuff that well, but in my defence:

JDS-Nine ways (Plump DJs remix) is what personally I would call Breakbeat trance, but once again, its that genre thing, where by people have their own views on it...

What someone classes as Hard Trance, others will class as Hard House.

Heres one for ya (Anyone!):

What would you class Azzido Da Bass as??
    :D
  13. Karl51

Karl51 Registered User

garage, well dooms night:D :p :D
  14. sloppy

sloppy Registered User

or how about progressive hard house?:p
  15. ant

ant

Breakbeat trance is a quality genre but only should be a couple of tunes played in each trance set. If there was a two hour breakbeat trance set then it would probably just annoy me.
    I would say that the Plump DJs are not breakbeat trance but there remix of JDS is sort of trancey
  16. JackMaster

JackMaster Registered User

well, it certainly was hard and boring...
  17. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

how can breakbeat trance exist?
    its an oxymoron

break beat doesnt have 4:4 beats, and trance does, so it just cant happen.

thats what i think
  18. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

no one said trance had to be 4 by 4
  19. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

but if it isnt 4:4 then its 'broken the beat', and its breakbeat....if u get me.
    what trance isnt 4:4?
    trance to me is all 4:4...hmmmm...and i love it!:D
  20. kalashnikov

kalashnikov Registered User

I agree, pigeonholing can get annoying, and confusing. I tend to stick to the basics. It's usually either hard, melodic, or progressive, in some way or another.

The difference with hard house and hard trance is quite simple. Trance keeps the same beats, so trance would go like this:

boom boom boom boom.

Harder trance tends to make use of synths (cosmic gate use a lot of these, you should know what these are) and 303s (though some people begin to call it acid trance when it uses these excessively).

Hard House is very different to Hard Trance in my opinion. Instead of keeping the same beat, it often alternates. Instead of boom boom boom boom, you'd be far more likely to get:

boom bang boom bang

Alternating the snares/drums/beats etc.

Hard House also likes to throw in lots of short high pitch female vocals.

Melodic is easy to describe, the softy softy sort of stuff. Check the tunes in my sig. Or alternatively, Ralphie B and Rank 1, those are popular melodic sort of tunes. A nice soft melody in the middle.

Progressive effectively means it stays constant throughout. Techno is the same but harder. hard techno is. But obviously, there are shitloads of styles of techno it's bloody confusing. Detroit and minimal are the common slower types.

JonnyBoyRevel, good point on the breakbeats. That's not much of a dance thing anyway. Tend to get it in D&B and Garage a lot. I can't think of a single trance track with breakbeats.
  21. DominicX

DominicX Registered User

B]"or how about progressive hard house?"[/B]

This is already used to describe the likes of Fergie, ie. playing hard house thats a bit trancey, as he is reported to be at the moment.