Why do people care about technically ability so much????

Discussion in 'Music' started by Disco Drew, Dec 5, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Disco Drew

Disco Drew Registered User

Why do people care about technically ability so much????

Why do people care so much about beatmatching etc???

Anyone can beatmatch given a little practise, christ even I can!!!!

Why does it matter to people so much if a DJ can create a "technorgasam"??? When a good breadown will do that for you?

Surely the most important part of being a DJ is tune selection, if you can create a night which appears to be rising all night nothing else really matters.

Sure it matters if a beat is off, but not as much, by any means, as playing tunes which takes people somewhere as well as listening to how the crowd react and acting in a way which suits the mood of the night!
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Damocles

Damocles Registered User

I can't say that i am that bothered as i am normally too trashed to notice. :D
  4. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

:rolleyes: :(
  5. Guest

Doesnt realy matter to me!!! then again it differs from genre to genre! If a house DJ misses a beat its more noticable than trance which is darker! imo

:spangled: :spangled: :spangled:
  6. Geordie

Geordie "Im Outta Time"

Aye but sometimes u have to just stand back and admire the mix - it takes a v.good DJ in the likes of Orandel / Hardwick / PVD for the very best of mixing - thats Trance DJ's that ive payed most attention too anyways - Armin Van Buurens the same they are all quality mixers !
  7. Disco Drew

Few I thought i was the only one for a sec.

Spose with house it is just one line all night and is more noticable, when with trance the night goes up and up and up all night. At the end of the day its all just music and makes fuck all difference if its matched or not...............

mmmmmmmmmm plots idea in head!!!!!!!

I have a cunning plan......stay tuned!!!!!!!!!
  8. DoctorMick

DoctorMick Registered User

I don't usually listen to the mixing in detail so it doesn't bother me that much although if a DJ makes a few obvious bad mistakes in a night it will piss me off a bit!
  9. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

i think technical ability plays an important part in djing... its what seperates djs.. if no one was fussed, then it d be boring IMO. I once saw Dave Clarke, and im not a fan of that techno stuff, but i was just amazed by his mixing:D

I mean most the time u dont notice the mixing because thats the idea, to blend the tunes seemlessly isnt it? Also, certain techniques in mixing can drive a crowd to frenzy...

Also its human nature to try and better others... which is why people will constantly find new techniques for mixing, to get an upper hand on a similar style dj...
  10. Geordie

Geordie "Im Outta Time"

Dave Clarke is someone u have to just stand back and admire the blokes skills :eek: :eek:
  11. chickenlipsr4

chickenlipsr4

Beat mixing, eqing, reading the crowd etc these are all the techniques employed by any good dj, but most of all it is about playing records you own and love to make people dance.

Got to agree Dave Clarkes mixing is like:eek: OMG WTF is he doing...
  12. Allie

Allie Registered User

As you said, anyone can beatmatch, given time. What does tune selection show too? THat you have good taste in music? Right, ok, well that might count for something. ANyone can play somebody else's records though. It all comes down the all the little tricks you do, with some decks and a mixer.
  13. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

dave clarke is a genius.. i would quite happily have that mans children.. (err if i was female :p)
  14. Disco Drew

I disagree!!!

I feel tune selection is the hardest part of djing, its not a case of grabbing a few tunes and lobbing them on. You need to read the mood of the night, go with the crowd as well as lead them to where you want them to go. The night has to go in peaks and valleys, and give the apperance of always rising......Its no good playing the likes of Signum - coming on strong and then dropping some really floaty number straight after that wouldnt work, you would fire people up and then take it all away. Music is a very powerful tool, and should be treated so.

I recon with a good tune selection you could have an amazing night, and just play one track after the other, no matching. This wouldnt happen on top level and i wouldnt want it to, but thats not to say it cant be done.

Dont get me wrong when I hear an amazing mix I go weak at the knees and hard in the shlong. For some people though, my girlfriend included, they really couldnt care, so long as they dont fuck up all night!!!!

Im going to have to get a hold of some Dave Clark stuff!!!!
  15. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

maybes thats what makes us all individuals, people go clubbing for different reasons, some for the dj, some for the tunes, some for the mixing and some for the atmosphere, the majority for a little bit of everything, but not knowingly will be biased towards a certain aspect... just a thought:)
  16. Disco Drew

And a very good thought it is too!!!!:D
  17. LazMan

LazMan Registered User

If you didn't have to be technically perfect to be a DJ then everyone would be doing it. Who would serve our Big Macs then??
    (No offense to you guys at Macs. I think you do a sterling job):D
  18. dj tino

dj tino

agree with that like, but imo i usually go for a top dj, because they are a TOP dj, and good at what they do, which involves tune selection, working the crowd.. and mixing! they wouldnt be top if they couldnt mix, but also if they knocked out shite all night theyd get no where either. Think its equal amounts of both.

nights like tonight see the likes of halliwell who is renown for being a mint scratch deejay, which i personally think is amazin at what he does, different types of mixing bring different types of evenings and different styles.

but wouldnt say tune selection or mixin capability is more or less important! :D
  19. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

overall the tunes slection is more important.....IMO
    BUT, the mxing does play a very important part too....cos its part of the tune too!
  20. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Of course techincal ability matters!

However if a dj fucks up a mix it does not mean you'll have a shit night - people pay far too much attention to the actual m ixing quality a lot of the time... I can have wikkid nights to dj's who constantly mess up their mixes if they play the right tunes and theres a good atmosphere in the club.

however...

A seriously good techincal dj will always stand out - its not whether he beat matches (he'll virtually never fuck up though), its everything be it a hard house dj who cuts and scratches crowd pleasers seamlessly or a prog trance dj who slowely builds an extremely fluid set... DJ's like DJ Irene, Illogik, Ali Wilson stand out in say the hard house field - where as dj's like Matt hardwick and AVB stand out in trance...

You can have a great night to a shit dj - but an amazing night to a great dj... It just annoys me when people say a night is shit cos the dj fucked up a couple of mixes....
  21. loopyloosy

loopyloosy Registered User

whilst out and about i love getting halfway through a song then realising it has been mixed in without me knowing, or even when the mixing makes you go crazy, your fave tune has just been brought in and the bit you hear ov it makes everyone turn to each other nd go "did you just hear that?!" or when the build up is brought in at the very very end of the last tune, so it just takes off again like a rocket, or when U GET TEASED WITH THE BEAT TILL U CANT TAKE IT. then drops.

technical ability to me is half of the equasion, tune selection is the other.