What happened to PROMISE???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by james, Mar 4, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. james

james

What happened to PROMISE???

I do not mean to disrespectful to all you hard houser/trancer people but What the hell happened to all the decent DJs that used to appear week in week out at Promise. Tyrant had a monthly residency; Dave Seaman, Sasha, Nick warren, Zabiela parks+wilson, Jimmy Van M, pappa + many others played week in week out in the 1st year of this night. It is not just their style of music but the fact that they innovate invigorate and generally are a pleasure to see. They bring something so different to the table. The likes of Picotto, JFK, Scott Bond all just play plodding records; one after another - never does any decent programming/track selection go into their sets to inspire anyone. I saw Nick Warren play there just before Christmas and I have to say that he was shite - he didn't put anything into his set as he usually does - probably because he knew that the night was just about the likes of JFK etc playing just their usual shite. The better class of jocks do require more money but it has to be worth it to put Promise back on the map. It was going somewhere but is now dying.

Regards

Someone who used to love Promise but now loves Shindig
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

A progressive fan trying to educate us in what a good set is.... what a turn up for the books!!!

Well mr intellectual clubber, we're not all there to be educated, most of us go cos we know we're going to dance our tits off and have a good night... for all I care a dj could spend 2 minutes preparing his set - as long as he makes me dance... I hated being educated at school, the last thing I want is an education when I'm out clubbing....

If a dj makes me dance - I don't crae how talented he is...as that is the DJ's job... He's there to make you dance :d

As for picotto, bond, etc. being talentless dj's who plod along... hrrrrrmmmmmmmm shush, your making a tit of yourself.

But for the record corvin dalek and richard tulip educated us in the ways fo the progressive dj on friday, Promise haven't neglected their proggie punters... they've just branched out.

Progressive music almost killed the club. the club is currently turning around, the numbers are filling up and the clubs finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Enjoy your shindig, but I'm having the time of my life beingf a retarded trance fanatic dancing my tits off too plod along dj's..
  4. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

I vote for how it's going at the moment! Generally trancy, with a smattering of progressive and other sounds from that end of the spectrum. Keeps it from getting too samey every week.

There's far too much snobbery about music at the moment, basically saying "I'm more intelligent than you because I listen to so and so". All music is for entertainment!
  5. miss_messy

miss_messy Registered User

yeah n wen proggy djs were on no1 went....so wots the point!?

SAVE IT FOR SHINDIG!!!!!!!!!
  6. Auz

Auz

Why do people always come on and start up the argument over Prog V Trance over and over again. It has been discussed so many times it is just becoming boring. Everyone knows that when Promise played only prog it died a death ... at the end of the day it is a business out there to make money, but they are doing it in the best possible way by keeping us really happy with music that we enjoy :D
  7. magicpaul

magicpaul Registered User

Re: What happened to PROMISE???

How is promise dying?? It's busier now than it ever was on any of the proggie nights.

I'll quote mark's famous saying that is oh so true - "people vote with their feet." And with more feet on the dance floor than ever I'd say the club is a long way off dying....
  8. Mr Greeder

Mr Greeder Registered User

James.. " What the hell happened to all the decent DJs that used to appear week in week out at Promise." erm.. we've jus had PVD, SEB, BOND PICCOTO & 00!! where have u been??!:eek: My opinion is the only reason why ple like progressive all night, is because there taking things they should'nt be. :rolleyes:
  9. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

I reckon, that most the peeps at Promise are not super dedicated clubbers, but peeps just out to have fun on a fri night. Most peeps will have been gettin pissed in pubs b4, and just want to let go, and what better way, than to have uplifting trance, where peeps can all put there hands in the air to some wicked breakdowns, and not have to listenin to the possibly more intelligent (but a lot of these peeps i think will call it borin) prog stuff.

I'm not slating prog at all, coz I love it, but its for a much smaller audience!!:p
  10. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

:: rant on ::

i spent the whole of 2001 trailing round the country with a bunch of prog fanatics.. recently i've been bringing them up to promise and they have had the time of their lives. they are just there to have fun, they don't go around slagging the Dj off if he plays one poor tune or if he has a slightly off mix. i think i've even managed to convert one into a trance lover. promise is fun, and people goto promise to have fun :D as for poor DJ's they are not poor they just play a different style of dance music, just becuase you personally don't enjoy that music doesn't mean hundreds of others arn't.

:: rant off ::
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

amen
  12. loopyloosy

loopyloosy Registered User

start rant in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    music is not about education. agree with B.O.B, music is for entertainment and if one person decides that they think DJ's at promise do not "innovate invigorate and are a general pleasure to see" then dont go. if you want to rant about a GREAT club that has went from dying a death to being the best friday in the north east then DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. we are all proud of our club, its music, djs, and how far it has come in the world and its fantastic atmosphere. if you think music is about inspiration at 2 on saturday morning, you are sadly mistaken. its all about losin it for a few hours with a bunch of sweaty people to music U enjoy, and if that is too much for you then f**k you!loop
    rant terminated at 17.50
  13. Glitter Angel

Glitter Angel Registered User

all i have to say is 4Q
  14. Guest

Promise does seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.

I agree with most of the new bookings,, but where the hell have Seaman and Warren etc got to?? Those 2 (esp. Spunkie) have put on some of Promise's best nights.

Corvin Darlek was the closest we have seen to Prog for months........... and what has replaced them?? JFK & Eddie Scalliwell??

I can understand not getting the likes of Tyrant & Lee Buridge as much as these people are never goning to fill a club in this city...........but Id love to see Seaman, Timo, Warren & Howells back.
  15. sloppy

sloppy Registered User

promise is doin just fine at the moment so why change back to an unsuccessfull formula of booking prog djs?

the balance they have at the moment is just right
  16. rachel

rachel Registered User

here we go again another brawl on the msg board!!! sorry though james have to disagree with you there i can mebbe see it from your point ov view if you're proper into proggie but oh my god promise is soooo fantastic maybe give it another chance but then again if u like your prog mebbe that wouldnt be a good idea so me thinks i am just talking crap.... but please dont start havin a moan on about promise to us people who love it im sure there will be other places you could go to to see your proggie dj's??? im not having a go there by the way i dont want you to think that its just that its a bit shit comin on the msg board and proper griefing it...???!! xxxx
  17. JackMaster

JackMaster Registered User

Gotta disagree with you James, i would'nt change Promise's music policy now for the world. i love it. I used to go when the prog nights were on...Sasha, Pappa, Warren, Parks and Wilson..etc and i used to be bored.

Fair enough, if we all liked the same stuff the world would be a boring place. Its a pity thats there is nowhere else in this area that is a truely progressive night. Shindig is still excellent though :)
  18. Guest

and just to add to that!!!

LUCIAN FOORT IS THE BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!

BRING ON THE GOD!!!

:D :D :D
  19. Ness

Ness Registered User

Can I just say, & I know every-1 has their own opinion and tastes, but from sum-1 who loves his prog.......james, are u mad?

Were u there on friday?
  20. spooky

spooky Registered User

Am well impressed with this thread! Glad to see people taking notice and not getting into a slanging match but voicing their opinions niceley :D

Am not keen on prog for a whole night and have never been to shindig, but seeing as you prefer shindig anyways theres not a problem innit! :p
  21. Guest

Re: What happened to PROMISE???

my feelings exactly. :eek:
  22. Rob

Rob Registered User

Nick

Now normally I promote peace and love but Mark does have a point.

If you prefer a different night to Promise why do you hang around the message board. We all have criticisms about Promise but what we also have in common is a love for the night and what it has achieved.

I'm not saying "if you don't kiss Promise's arse piss off"

I am saying "If it's really not your kind of night don't you have better things to do than post on here?"

Well?

I would also say.......

Promise has a good balance of music, I may not like all the DJs that play but I very rarely venture up on a Friday night without enjoying the music.

For Real. :)