VINYL Promos and new releases - debate

Discussion in 'Music' started by fizz, Oct 23, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. fizz

fizz Registered User

VINYL Promos and new releases - debate

Just from a reply phil made below, it made me think bout things and the way new releases and upfront material are played out...

firstly, we as djs all love to get tracks before anyone else, new promos etc... how good do we feel.......especially when we pay £10 or more on them....

BUT, when they make full release sometimes as soon as a week later it makes it worse for us.... especially when the full release copy is only around £5 !!!!

got a couple of questions and thoughts for everyone, such as, we all know how much competition there is nowadays involving the rise of dj culture, and this is now shown with promo acquiring...
    there is still that point of where some of us gain a promo before others and its like - where did u get that?? etc. But does anyone think the way things are heading, and with the prices of promos, more competition being added each day, even more djs gaining the same promo as yourself (lets face it, your not the only one in the uk to have a copy, maybe just in your small area) that people may not be bothered bout promos anymore, will there be any point in promos?? This is just a thought, as it leads me onto the fact that a lot of djs now do play similar tunes, unless you know the djs, ie big dave and cyberted play similar but know each other enough to differ their sets.

It seems at the moment for the rise in dj culture that the battle now is in who gets the promos first, and they are being released even sooner than they should. But then the industry makes more money from this due to us paying stupid amounts for vinyl and then finding out the week later we have paid double!!!!!

US DJs are finding it harder to be different, not just in the area but all over... more and more competition is being made, more money is being made from promos..... my point here is, will it get to the point where djs wont be arsed bout promos anymore and just the price...
    How will things change???? Will things change????
    Id just love to know everyones thoughts.. im not stating anything, just curious as to what your thoughts are for the future with vinyls, releases, promos etc.... and the competition these days.

please discuss....
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Simon Stuart

Simon Stuart Registered User

Dj's will always want the tunes ahead of everyone else and if you really love a track, you'll often be prepared to stop at nothing to get your hands on it. In part DJ's are just big show offs who like to get one up on the next guy and one way to do this is aquiring the biggies way before everyone else. At a lower level can also seem to elevate your status from bedroom dj, to club talent.

However!

Long gone are the days where I constantly strove to find the most upfront releases. There are so many DJ's at high levels who play only the newest cuts, but in turn end up sacrificing the live entertainment thing. It's one thing getting a load of new tracks, but if they're shite, who the fuck cares? The best way to remain competitive is to work on your skills, develop a sound and create something solid from what you already have. By all means chase the new stuff, just don't be led by them!

Other ways to stay ahead of the white label game/ impress your mate and make a big impression are to:

1 - do your own remixes
    2 - make your own tunes
    3 - get digging through obscure sources, go to record fairs and search! you'll be surprised at how much old music has passed people by, yet can still work if used right in a set.
  4. Simon Stuart

Simon Stuart Registered User

you know, there are a lot of promoters and clubs out there now who won't even go for DJ's, even more established ones, if they aren't involved in production. Turnmills for one doesn't really use DJ's who aren't doin' tracks...
  5. Ché

Ché Registered User

I would love to be able to produce! The thought of doing some remixes in 'my style' sounds amazing. Dropping one of my own tunes/mixes into a set would be mint!

However... I dont have clue how do do it!:confused:

All I need is a shit hot engineer!;) Anyone? LOL :p
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

che when I move in propperly come round mine, I'll have a pc set up - not as good as a studio but I'll have a few modules n my pc is chocca block with software :D
  7. Ché

Ché Registered User

nice one dude! well make some nice tunes/remixes, eh?

will have to think of a cool name to put our stuff out under! LOL :D :p
  8. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

i like getting promos....
    they are normally only a couple of quid more than the full release, and like simon said, its all about gettin one up on the other guy init!!!
  9. GoalKing

GoalKing Registered User

I'd be interested in that as well Smartie.. I've a friend in Holland who showed me some of his work using the basic setup on Fruity Loops.. he isn't into trance that much and does not go clubbing, but his work was excellent so i left him a few tunes to give him some ideas - he probably doesn't realise how talented he is.

I just need to get to know and use a really good program for music production, such as Fruity Loops, and a really good source of drums, synths etc - so if you've got some programs etc that will do the job I'd be happy to give them a try :)
  10. Mr. Revel

if u really wanna get stuff early, you could sign up to one of lightening records promo things!
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

got loadsa programs... used to spend my nights on #audiowarez :D :D :D

Once I've moved in think I'll start charging people 2 use the simonside studio ;) :p
  12. Ché

Ché Registered User

overdose/pulse/massive (scot project, shokk, russenmafia, dj wag etc.) do that aswell

www.overdose.de
  13. Mr. Revel

do u know any1 whos ever done 1 che?

are they good?
    how early do u get the records?

i was thinking about the bonzai one.....hmmmmmmm......
  14. Ché

Ché Registered User

basicaly ur paying to be on the mailing list. u would get ur tunes as and when djs would normaly get them as far as im aware.
  15. Mr. Revel

cool, that would be a nice christmas prezzie...:)
  16. cyberted

cyberted Registered User

working @ the blue corner drop in and say hello!
    i got an email ages ago off lightening regarding the promos thought it was a class idea would have took it if i could have afforeded it!!!

:king: