Tiesto short interview for Impulz.NL...SORTA explains style change

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doggie, Jul 1, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

foudn this on www.impulz.nl short interview but explains a little on why hes not playing that much uplifting trance anymore...read and he explains..sorta....i hope noone posted this already...

Tijs Verwest is Holland’s most famous DJ who gained enormous popularity with his Dutch trancesound. Over the years his style became more diverse, since he prefers to play longer sets nowadays. His never ending story of success started a new chapter last year with the release of the smash single ‘Flight 643’ and his artist album. It resulted in a breakthrough in both America and England as well, and at the moment it seems that the sky is the limit for Tiësto.

You’ve got quite some experience with foreign festivals. Are there major differences with Dutch festivals?

“I think people in England come for one specific DJ or act. In Holland people seem to care less about the line-up and more about the reputation of a festival. You see for example that Dance Valley is sold out months in advance. In England the line-up is much more important. Concerning organisation, production and logistics Dutch and foreign festivals are equal since a few yearsl. The British organisations have visited Dutch festivals to see how you organise a proper festival. Dance Valley is the standard in this context. Last year I played Creamfields, Homelands, Gatecrasher and God’s Kitchen in England. These festivals and their atmosphere are pretty much the same as in Holland. In the past the English audience were more enthusiastic. That’s because in England DJ’s were already pop stars in the mid-nineties.”

At Impulz Black Hole have their own tent. Are you proud?

“For me personally it’s great. But Black Hole is no longer a one horse stable. The other artists are gaining more and more success, and that’s a good thing. If I quit playing records tomorrow, I am certain the company would still survive without me. For me Impulz Outdoor is Dance Valley’s little brother, and I expect the same high production standards. The Black Hole tent represents our own artists. Andain is a live act from San Francisco who have lived in Holland while studying music in The Hague. The last few months he’s breaking through with his records and remixes. Guy Ornadel is a very good DJ from England who used to be a Goa trance DJ. He plays quite harsh and his style lies between trance and techno. Cor Fijneman loves pumping and uplifting trance. Fred Numph from The Hague and Dazzle both spin deep progressive like John Digweed.”

Although the Black Hole-tent at Impulz is called the progressive-area, you’re not a progressive DJ.

“It’s hard to pigeonhole my style. At a certain moment I didn’t like trance that much anymore, because there was too much rubbish being released. Nowadays I prefer longer sets in which I play all kind of styles. The last year my sound did become more diverse. Some people still think I only play trance, but that a misunderstanding. I consider myself more as a DJ who brings people into trance. That can be done with good techno records, but also with techno or progressive. In fact I’m going back to my roots. In the early days I also played quite diverse.”

Last year was your big break through in England and America, partly because of the success of ‘Flight 643’.

“The year 2001 was amazing with a top 10 hit in Holland with ‘Flight 643’. I expected the single to be an underground hit, but I didn’t expect it to do so well on the radio. It’s a different tune than most people would expect from me: funky techno. Thanks to the success of the single I have more freedom nowadays as a DJ. It always has been a dream to become famous all over the world. I played a lot in England and America last year. It was hard to break those countries, but I had the advantage that my productions sold well overseas. This year I’m invited to go on tour with Moby in America. It’s unbelievable what’s happening to me. In fact I’ve reached all my goals. The most important thing nowadays isn’t to set goals anymore, but to enjoy the moments as much as possible.”

i told ya it was short..
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Guest

Re: Tiesto short interview for Impulz.NL...SORTA explains style change

this is probably why we got loadz of tiesto shit of ornadel. Including my album remixes vynal.

but yeah tiesto was relativly unheard of 3-4 years ago but now hes classed as one of the greatest djs in the world up there with the likes of oaky and van dyk and digweed. Because he produces tunes that can adapt into any situation. By this i mean the tunes that tiesto his made are given to a lot of people to remix so they can be played in a pub,club,bedroom,car whatever different mixes fro the right situation. Tiesto looks at the broder horizons in the music world he looks underneath the suface to find more ways of exposing himself and his music at the end of the day its all money but the big word the top 10 djs have as well as money is passion.
  4. cyberted

cyberted Registered User

working @ the blue corner drop in and say hello!
    the reason u g0t loads blackhole tiesto stuff at ornadel nite is becasue guy has ben signed to do a album for black hole which is due out soon plus have read in interviews before that guy is a massive fan of tiesto's wwell done guy u know ur stuff!!!

:p
  5. magicpaul

magicpaul Registered User

as it seems do you lil fella.. :p
  6. cyberted

cyberted Registered User

working @ the blue corner drop in and say hello!
    hahaha just like to read finx jacques!!

:p