"The Know How" - Bill Brewster: What does 'scene' mean?

Discussion in 'Music' started by AndyGenerator, May 11, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. AndyGenerator

AndyGenerator

"The Know How" - Bill Brewster: What does 'scene' mean?

Venue: Northern Stage, Newcastle
    Date: Wednesday 25th May, 2011
    Time: 6.00pm - 8.00pm
    How Dance and Electronic music 'scenes' develop, become substantial and achieve longevity – examining how 'scenes' emerge and what they owe to previous 'scenesters'.

• Harry Pearson– Author and Guardian journalist
    • Bill Brewster – Lowlife, ‘Last Night a DJ Saved my Life’
    • Ralph Lawson– Back 2 Basics, 2020 Soundsystem
    • Luke Una – Unabombers, Electric Chair, Electric Elephant
    Bill Brewster - DJ, promoter, music journalist and author of the award winning "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", set-up and runs the busy DJ History forum along with hosting the best parties in London via his club Low Life.

Bill ran DMC in New York City for 2 years and cut his teeth in journalism at football magazine ‘When Saturday Comes’, where he met Harry Pearson, Guardian Journalist and Chair of this session who will offer his own views on 'building a scene’.

Ralph Lawson has been described as ‘Britain’s best kept secret’. The original resident DJ at the legendary Back to Basics and founder of 2020 Vision which won 2009 DJ Magazine ‘Best Label’.

Ralph formed the 2020 Soundsystem Project and became a mainstay on the global festival circuit reaching audiences of 25,000 plus as well as placing Leeds on the house music map.

Luke Una worked similar wonders in Manchester with his legendary night ‘Electric Chair’ which ran for over a decade. Luke toured extensively with The Unabombers and started up electronic festival Electric Elephant in Croatia.

All of the guests for this 'The Know How' session are pioneers within the dance world with formidable pedigrees - ideally positioned to talk about building a scene and breaking new talent, opportunities that emerge and the role of the media. Their experience's alone will make for a fascinating discussion and an inspiring evening.

To register for this and any of the other events that week visit http://www.generator.org.uk/theknowhow
    Conway likes this.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

4. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Andy, have set your profile up so you can post these in future, if anyone else from generator wants their permissions amending, just get them to drop me a PM :up:
  5. Simon L

Simon L Registered User

see you there H-E-W
  6. Neil B

Neil B Registered User

see you there :)
  7. graham

graham Registered User

Nice one been keeping an eye out for these events again this year, confirmed for the Mon and Weds :up:

If theyre anything like the last few years they'll be well worth checking out :king:
  8. Neil B

Neil B Registered User

whos in?
  9. dano

dano

aye, i'll be along
  10. graham

graham Registered User

Lookin forward to the first of these events later on :up:
  11. Mike Louth

Mike Louth Digitally Imported

I'd love to go to the one tonight for obvious reasons but I won't be back from Norway.

See you on Wednesday though.
  12. graham

graham Registered User

Last night was decent, was interesting hearing from the guys from Radio 1 and Radio 2 giving a good insight into how the stations work and how the playlists are selected etc, and the routes that new artists would have to take to get any airplay. The guy from soundcloud made some good comments as well that often differed from the views of the radio based panel.

Internet radio stations didnt come up specifically Mike from what I heard though they did talk about people hearing music nowadays from different sources other than the radio, and the likes of youtube, podcasts, spotify etc as well as obviously soundcloud were discussed.

Looking forward to Wednesday and Thursday's sessions :up:
  13. Jono_H

Jono_H Registered User

they could have done with throwing it up to questions halfway through last night i thought, was suprised only 2 or 3 questions got asked from the floor at the end.....i was too busy thinking of ways to stop my bladder from exploding to come up with one myself.

all in all enjoyed it, was worth heading down......had to laugh at bill brewster in tokyo, someone really should have got him a crate to stand on whilst dee'n the dex :lol:
    Mike Louth and Conway like this.
  14. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

I was very impressed with the standard of both Monday night and Wednesday, didn't turn up to the others as I felt they were more aimed at bands/artists, but I'd imagine they were just as good. Both nights I attended were very well organised, the quality of guests and their contributions were high and I went away from both feeling that they were very useful.

Was good to bump into Jono and Graham, and to meet Mike Louth in person :up: Will defo be going to future events as and when they are announced.
    Jono_H likes this.
  15. Mike Louth

Mike Louth Digitally Imported

The hostility between Bill and Ralph was quite entertaining, that must have been brewing [sic] before the start of the talk.

I think the topic was summed up within the first few minutes but it was great hearing about their own opinions and experiences.