PC Ram Problems...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chris Fee, Jul 23, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Chris Fee

Chris Fee Registered User

PC Ram Problems...

Just purchased 2 identical sticks of PC333 1 GIG DDR Ram along with a brand new motherboard capable of almost anything, overclocking, 4 ddr slots up to 4 gig.

Works with my old ddr ram, only PC2100 and only 512 meg +

Problem is i cannot get my new 2 X 1 Gig sticks to work normally never mind in dual channel mode.

It seems like theres a power supply problem but i need some backup evidence on this before i purchase my new PSU as my old one is only a 350W. Bare in mind i have a new Geforce 256meg graphics sapping the power too along with my P4 2.2Ghz processor.

Anyone think this is a power supply problem??? if not any other ideas why the 2 sticks of gig memory dont work...

Symptoms :
    PC screen doesnt come on at POST/Boot.
    Power surges and outages (fans seem to slow right down then speed up again)

If i put one stick of normal ram in along with one stick of the new 1 gig ram the PC boots but does not detect my new 1 gig sticks.

PS. I know these works as i have had them in my old motherboard.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Chris Fee

Chris Fee Registered User

4. Rob

Rob Registered User

5. Adam

Adam

set the voltage up slightly for the ram in the BIOS, just 1 increment won;t do any harm- a lot of mobo's slightly undervolt as standard, plus, I'd recommend at least antother 100w on your psu too- the fan slowing down/speeding up is probably because the new ram combined with graphics processor etc is putting too much strain on your psu and so any time it tries to do anything it's struggling to keep everything going.

You could also try underclocking your ram to see if you can get it to post at all , this is completely safe and you can't damage anything this way.
  6. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

if i read the post right, it looks like your trying to run pc2100 and pc333 in the same board - the bios will only pick up one speed, try underclocking the 333 to 2100 and see if that works

i suspect you just need to change the ram setting in the bios to run at 333 and bin the 2100 ram, Chris

hope that helps ;)
  7. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

8. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

you should look in to investing in a decent psu aswell, dont bother with a cheap 'high powered' one, its well worth paying some cash and getting a decent one, i can recomend a Tagan 480 (make sure you get a rev2 though) - i think you can pick them up for about 60 quid