[Mar 24, 2012] TechNCL - techno! 24/03/2012, King's Manor, 9-2, £1 (Newcastle)

Discussion in 'Going Out' started by Vanis, Feb 12, 2012.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Vanis

Vanis

[​IMG]

Well, after a huge break, we're back! The only night in Newcastle that plays PROPER techno, banging and thumping, the way it should be...

This time we've got a debut live set from local knob twiddlers Pigeon Squad, and resident Vanis with a bunch of new, extra-pounding vinyl (yes - vinyl, those big black things they used to use).

OK, so we're not big names - but that's what makes this night so good. Come down and check it out, you won't be disappointed!

Entry is £1 (boo), tried to make if free but new management have started charging for a venue + PA they inherited...what can you do?

Whatever the case, for less than the price of half a pint you can shake your asses to the best tunes this side of Berlin! What are you waiting for?

Techno - that stuff they don't really play any more, but still absolutely rules

https://www.facebook.com/events/340685099286404/
    http://soundcloud.com/vanis
    Conway likes this.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Mike Louth

Mike Louth Digitally Imported

The track at 9:00 on your teaser mix is an absolute monster.
    Vanis likes this.
  4. Vanis

Vanis

Thanks man, glad you like it. Don't know what it's called or anything, sorry. Possibly on Highland Beats label. Come down and check out the night, it should be fun (I mix better when there's a crowd there as well).
  5. Vanis

Vanis

Woah, the poster's all green...
  6. Vanis

Vanis

***ANNOUNCEMENT***
    Hello people, afraid I have some bad news. Due to the guy who's taken over Kings Manor being a ***, *****, ****** **** we currently don't have a venue for our little party.
    He's given the night to someone else, claiming that it was 'the other guy' who took the booking before I went in there, but didn't write it in the diary, and he didn't have my number to tell me (BS). Apparently it's been booked for ages.
    Just as well I went in there to put a poster up...
    I'm working on a new venue but obviously it's quite close to the time. I'll keep you all posted, hopefully we'll still be able to do it.
    Sorry about this everyone.
  7. Mike Louth

Mike Louth Digitally Imported

Well that's a bit of a shitter, hope you find somewhere.
  8. Vanis

Vanis

Aye, tell me about it. Still searching, time's running out though. What a ****
  9. james909

james909 Registered User

Other places play proper Techno as well lads not just yourselves try Neil Landstromm at Milk the Cow on the 23rd@The Globe.
    Ash1 likes this.
  10. Vanis

Vanis

Aye, seen that. In my experience though Neil Landstrumm's a fair bit more eclectic than the stuff I play - not a criticism, he's mint like, just not what we're doing. I've seen him play everything from techno to electro to dub.

I was using 'proper' with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I suppose it depends what you think of as 'proper' techno though? A debate that never ends...I wondered if using that phrase was a bit contentious. I'm not trying to compete with anyone here, just did't know about anyone else playing my kinda tunes.
    I'd love to play a set in the Globe, seems like the main place doing anything like that - just don't know who organises it or anything.

Anyway it's not looking we're gonna be doing anything now - still haven't got a venue, thanks to mr Kings Manor.
  11. james909

james909 Registered User

Andrew Seidel there resident plays Techno wide ranging From Detroit though Patrick DSP stuff as do, I drop the Milk the cow lads a link to a demo there always looking for New and old talent.

Landstrumm has gone very Dubby but they are wanting a more Techno Rave set out of him so there will be at least 2 "Proper" Techno sets at the night.

Newcastle has though had alot of Techno nights over the years, nights that play stuff other than minimal its just looking for them, Techno does not really fit in in the Kings Manor to be fair other than the basement god's me and others have tried enough.

Good luck with getting a venue.
  12. Vanis

Vanis

Cool, cheers for the tip. Aye, last time we did a night at KM someone else was running it, basement was great for the kind of tunes. I got a feeling the new guy didn't want us there but he could have just said, would have been a lot easier.

I could do with getting to know some more people who play techno, I'll send the link around and get some more stuff recorded. Annoyingly I'm going away for the summer, this was going to be a kind of leaving party but hey. Once I get back in sept I'll get on the case.

Cheers
  13. Vanis

Vanis

So do you play techno yourself then?
  14. james909

james909 Registered User

Yeah have done for 14 years since Mills in his Prime, though to the New guys like Patrick DSP and Ancient Methods.
  15. Vanis

Vanis

Ah...one of my generation. I used to play in Manchester and Sheffield in the mid-90s, missed it so thought I'd try and start something up. Been to a few nights up here but I thought it had kind of tailed off a bit.

Maybe you can help us out? Doesn't look like I'll be doing anything until September now - going travelling for the summer - but was starting to run out of options for other DJs & live acts. It would be cool to get some others on board like...
  16. james909

james909 Registered User

Get in touch though here always up for playing out went to see Patrick DSP last month in Leeds so feeling pretty inspired i play off vinyl and CDJS
    Getting a new Sound Card Next month so will have demo on-line soon.

Used to be resident at Backlash and Part own Drop The Bass Sound-system so know my way round the Promotion and Sound Tech side of things as well.
  17. Vanis

Vanis

Backlash? Went there a couple of times, was always a good night like. Do you know Tom/Dilation guy? He's one of the people I was gonna try and get, a mate of mine knows him.
    I play vinyl as well, never got round to updating technology, although just got traktor to have a go at that. I used to write stuff but not done any for a while.

I was speaking to Vicky Vegas yesterday about the possibility of hosting a backroom at one of the Globe nights, sounded promising but like I say, I'm away for the summer - I'll definitely keep in touch though, looking forward to sorting out some more 'proper' techno...
  18. james909

james909 Registered User

Know Tom played and set up many a gig with him over the years, Newcastle's needing a 'proper' Techno night though a proper Sound-system the crowds there up to about 200 I would say if it covers the broad spectrum that is Techno not minimal may-be more with a guest its just finding a venue as the scene picking up in other area's just Newcastle is a bit behind as usual.
  19. james909

james909 Registered User

Ouch I should of. Was dj'ing the night before and forgot. No excuse really after hearing his latest stuff but had family stuff to do the day after.
    Be in touch on Monday.
    Voice of shame.
  20. Vanis

Vanis

Ah, didn't know about it... I don't get out much these days. Living out of town and having no money ain't great for enjoying the nightlife. Camper van will be up and running soon though, once we get back from summer travels will be out and about a lot more. Be cool to get something going like.

Don't know if you've seen/heard the soundcloud page, couple of demo mixes on there if you want to get an idea of my stuff - www.soundcloud.com/vanis
    Not put much on there as the record button seems to destroy my mixing ability but will get some more up soon.
  21. Vanis

Vanis

*****CANCELLED****** I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but no luck finding a new venue with 2 weeks notice. Apologies to those who may have been intending to come. Back in a few months though, hopefully bigger and better...