icons on my comp

Discussion in 'Technology' started by mackem_linz, Jan 24, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

icons on my comp

why won't my computer show icons anymore. What is wrong with it?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. GeordieLee

GeordieLee Registered User

What sort of icons do u mean?
  4. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

for example, when i click on open, none of the icons appear. Or when i click on favourites on the net, the icons are just black marks. Do you know what i mean?
  5. dodgy

dodgy rowr kitty super meow cat

Are you running Windows 98? Can you only see the My Computer, My Documents and IE icons? Are any of the files that don't have icons working? If they don't have icons, do they have a little windows icon? Is anything missing from the system tray (the little area next to the clock on the bottom right)? Some more info would be good :D
  6. dodgy

If it's what I think it is, you've either got a virus/trojan or had one.

Use http://housecall.trendmicro.com to do an on-line virus-scan.

If it's Win98 you're using, use the program called exefix on this site to get everything fixed: http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

Not heard of this happening on XP, so if it's on that I'm a bit stumped. (for the mo anyways)

If you're still stuck, more info would definitely be appreciated :)
  7. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

i downloaded exefix. It doesn't seem to have fixed anything. I am using win98. Ive tried using norton antivirus but it says there are no virus's on my comp but there obviously is one! Im on that housecall site doing an online virus scan, ill post another message when thats finished.
    Cheers for the help by the way!
  8. dodgy

Get rid of Norton!! It's pants, and lots of viruses/trojans nowadays disable it :down: You can download a free virus-scanner that works properly here: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php :up: Hopefully Housecall should sort you out for the moment though.

After you've got rid of whatever it is, try using that exefix prog again, it should work...

:)
  9. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

all online anti-virus scans say i dont have any infections! But there is, or it's just fucked beyond repair.
    I am lucky if i can even get the comp 2 turn on, usually when i flick the power button i get a blank screen with a white cursor mark flashing (as you can tell im not clued up about computers!)
    Icons wont show at all, except a few.
    And it is sooo fucking slow it's unbelievable.
    What can i do now?? :confused:
  10. dodgy

Do you get any blue screens with error messages on? If so, are there any saying you have an error in xxxxx_vxd or whatever? (xxxxx being anything, look for 'vxd') Do these come up when the system is booting? How old is the hard drive in your pc?

If you can get it to boot, try and burn or save to floppy all important files that you have and want to keep.
  11. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

i keep getting messages saying something along the line of 'system has caused an error, system will now close' stuff like that. I cant remember exactly, it hasnt happend today. But i do keep getting another message that doesn't let you close it down when i click on the cross in the right hand corner
  12. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

i was searching for a file on my computer just now and this message came up. I get it quite regulary.

'Explorer has caused an error in CMFFLD80.DLL'

Then i click ok, and it shuts everything i have opened down.
  13. dodgy

14. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

tbh im not sure how old it is. It's a hand down from me dad, a one he used to use at work. It's not new, but not ancient either.
    I think i need a new one really; but im a student n if im lucky my pay just say covers my overdraft! :rolleyes:
  15. dodgy

Try running scandisk and see what it comes up with, you may have some bad sectors on the drive that have corrupted some system files.

First off, press ctrl + alt + delete to see a list of running processes - you want to stop each one running except for "explorer" and "systray", so select any other process and select 'stop' or similar, then press ctrl + alt + delete again and stop the others, apart from those two.

Then go to Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools and select 'Scandisk'. Select your hard drive, and select the 'thorough' checking option and start it. This'll take a long time, but it'll either fix some problems or let you know that your disk is on it's last legs. If your disk is fine you may want to end up re-installing windows if you're still getting loads of errors. Good luck :up:
  16. mackem_linz

mackem_linz play on

cheers, im off uni tommorow so gonna give this a try! Thanx for your help, ill let you know how it goes. xx
  17. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

I remember this problem on win 98. think i just ended up formatting and re installing 98 SE which wasnt much of a problem for me because i used to do it all the time what with windows fucking sucking more cock than George Michael
  18. phucknut

phucknut

dodgy can't get a shag so he helps people fuck pc's. Ironic.
  19. dodgy

:lol: :lol: :lol: You fucking gimp!!