Has Trance evolved in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Nov 14, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Has Trance evolved in 10 years?

Trance is the one music genre that never changes - in fact it seems to get worse?

Few examples of trance taken from each year (strongly suggest you listen to them all as they're all fucking amazing :D :D :D):

1992 - 'Halcyon + On + On' by Orbital
    1993 - 'Spacetrack' by Cosmic Baby <-- anyone think of ppk (but done well)
    1994 - 'Dreams' by Quench <-- sound like a million crasher-esk hard trance tunes 2 u?
    1995 - 'Are Am Eye' by Commander Tom <-- One of the most influential hard trance tunes of all time.
    1996 - 'People Can Fly' by Astral Projection

None of these tunes cept maybe on and on would sound out of place in a set today and on and on would sound lush in a breakbeat trance set.... Some music forms have evolved (acid genre, house, garage, etc.) but trance just stays static....
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Rob

Rob Registered User

I agree I think. Suppose some peeps would say that it's just grow in popularity.

What would you consider to be the first trance record?

I think Open Up by Leftfield was the first one I was aware of.
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

What a class tune it is 2 :D

Don't think there is 1 first record as trance draws from so many sources but I think the biggest contributions to trance as we know it is goa trance and tyhe whole late 80's early 90's israeli trance movement... I'm thinking artists like Astral Projection, Harel Prussky, DJ Miko,...

I'd say the first commercial "pure" trance tune was Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea :D
  5. rachel

rachel Registered User

oh no it definitley has evolved i think!! we were just talking bout that last nite actually, i cant be bothered to launch into a full scale explanation bout why i think it has but just listening to crasher wet n lotsa old(ish) trance compilcations n the whole trance sound is so much more chilled out that it is today.... i reckon so anyways!! or is that not what u were on about sorry if i've got the wrong end of the stick cos i hav a tendency to do fings like that!! i havent listened to trance 4 ten years only about 5 but in that time in my little opinion it has changed quite a bit!!! not lots n lots but a bit!! xxx
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

rachel thats just the crasher compilations... crasher isn't and never was the be all and end all of trance, crasher just followed its own little trends... if you compare even some of the crasher tunes of a few years ago like scott bond presents qdos - I'm not going home - its extremely similar to a lot of the hard trance around today today...

Quench - dreams is very similar to a lot of hard trance around today as is commander tom's stuff... ratty - sunrise was like a million tunes before it and a million tunes after it.... Trance doesn't evolve it just follows little trends where everybody seems to rip a buynch of old records.
  7. scruf

scruf Registered User

i got dreams on mos dance nation one - tis a wicked tune+ ur right it wouldnt be out of place now but there are soooo many tunes from 93/4 - 99 that i listen to now and cringe cos they sound soo out of date...

in 99 there was too much samey shite released+ i still find it hard to distinguish many of the trax released.. i think that trance is getting a lot better now though people like lee haslam are makin some awesome tunes+ sampling into trance more often... listen to resonate on tidy, then listen to sumthin from the mid nineties+ i think ull be able to see a definate change in trance over the years... :cool:
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

You could of said the same a few years ago about the trance nation series, or the the tunnel trance series... a flavour of trance becomes fashionable and is then sooped up no end...

My point isn't that there are no talented/innovative trance producers - its that trance hasn't moved forward at all... commander tom was extremely innovative but that was 7 years ago... my point is you could play lee haslam - your serve followed by are am eye and couldn't tell theres a 7 year gap between the songs...

early 90's trance like the orb and stuff was very different but around 92/3 trance started to find its feet and no one since then has seemed to do anything to take it any further....

Granted artists like lee haslam, Scot Project, DJ Isaac, etc. are trying slightly different things but these aren't revolutionary enough to take trance to its next foothold...
  9. scruf

scruf Registered User

excellent points mate... cant see where trance is going now tho... but that can be said about the whole of the dance music scene if this "crisis" fever that the media is whipping up continues... :(
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I get tired of most trance (even the classics), whether you tire of a song has nothing to do with it... I'm talking about the style and structure of the songs... it may have a lot to do with technology not advancing much - seeing as trance is a technology based music it makes sense that when the technology advances the music will too...
  11. Vin

Vin Registered User

Good point Rob. I always say to people about that track that when i listen to it, i can see where a large number of tracks over the last decade came from. That one tune.
  12. chickenlipsr4

chickenlipsr4

Surely early Leftfield was prototype progressive house?

Sven Vath's stuff on eye-q was early trance.
  13. billyloner

billyloner

mad fucked up goa type stuff :D maybe :confused: