Government Sacks Chief Drugs Advisor. .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vin, Oct 30, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Vin

Vin Registered User

Government Sacks Chief Drugs Advisor. .

for reporting the FACTS!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/oct/30/drugs-adviser-david-nutt-sacked

Professor David Nutt, the government's chief drug adviser, has been sacked a day after claiming that ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol.

"Alcohol ranks as the fifth most harmful drug after heroin, cocaine, barbiturates and methadone. Tobacco is ranked ninth," he wrote in the paper from the centre for crime and justice studies at King's College, London, published yesterday.

"Cannabis, LSD and ecstasy, while harmful, are ranked lower at 11, 14 and 18 respectively."

Amazingly the government have sacked this man for simply informing them what the scientific research told him. UNBELIEVABLE.

This sets a very dangerous precedent. Do other government advisors now report the truth to the ministers or do they just tell them what they want to hear because they fear for their job?

Sounds more like a dictatorship than a free western civilization to me.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. forks

forks still not dead

saw jackie smith on question time last night trotting out the same tired old stuff and claiming yet again that cannabis users need to be 'put in treatment programmes' and didn't even begin to consider the evidence that ecstasy is less harmful than alcohol.
    They just want to be seen to be 'tough' all the time in case the Daily Mail call them soft. It's pathetic. Feel sorry for the guy. pity he was called prfesssor Nutt though. can't have helped
  4. Shortee

Shortee back of the net

Our government through and through! whats the point in hiring an advisor if they don't like the advice he gives them??

Can the government not see that by legalising some drugs and sticking a tax on will get this country out the recession & pay the countrys debts? its not rocket science!!
  5. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

I doubt they will be legal for a very long time. Alcohol and tobacco are the perfect taxable drugs cause they take a very long time to kill you, and any bad effects from short term use are very temporary.

Just goes to show eh, the government has an agenda and doesnt let the 'facts' get in the way of doing what they want. Funny eh, the way this was supposed to work originally was that the people voted in governments to SERVE them - not dictate to them.
  6. DJPAUL

DJPAUL Registered User

sitting here with an awful hangover it feels like alcohol is much more harmeful than some class a drugs right now
  7. forks

forks still not dead

100 deaths a year from horse riding 30 (allegedly) from ecstasy. Which bit of the profs statement that ecstasy is less dangerous than horse riding did the government not agree with?
  8. stu

stu Registered User

one thing to bear in mind though is if alcohol and tobacco had just been discovered in the last 30 years or so they'd be illegal too
  9. LeeTheMackem

LeeTheMackem Lets Cacky Tash Him

The goverment will assume that alot more people ride horses than take ecstacy, this is definitely not the case in my social circle though lol
  10. LeeTheMackem

LeeTheMackem Lets Cacky Tash Him

You can guarantee if we had the coca plants that Brazil or colombia have then cocaine would be legal here and probably everywhere else in the world
  11. Crispy

Crispy

Can't say i'm surprised he was sacked, although the stuff he was saying is stuff that the government is already aware of. I do think theres very little chance of any form of legalisation happening in the forseeable future. For one thing its not and will never be a vote winner, in fact for the majority it would influence them to vote against the party proposing it. Also I don't think that british people as a whole are responsible enough to have access to a wider variety of intoxicants- look at the state of town on a saturday night for an example of what we collectively manage with alcohol.
  12. forks

forks still not dead

13. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

What did he expect, a pat on the back?
  14. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

well he's got plenty of time to get those now
  15. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

He was on channel 4 news before. Made a completely coherent, intelligent point that the news presenter had to cut short before it made TOO much sense.

We had better just get used to the fact that the 'higher ups' have no intention in the slightest of even entertaining the tiny possibility of making these things legal or less 'criminal' in the slightest.

Governments want 9-5 wage slaves, and not people who might decide to 'opt out' of what is a pretty pointless and evil system of slavery. The drugs they are debating are well known for causing people to re-assess their lives, as many of us all on here can agree about.

Booze and fags are what we get - pissed on the weekend, 20 a day tabs and a shitty old job the rest of the time. Rinse and repeat ;)
  16. Vin

Vin Registered User

everything i expect of the mail

yet when i read it i cant help getting so angry with the writer

sad thing is the mail has a daily circulation 7 times that of the guardian and more than 10 times the independent
  17. forks

forks still not dead

fear sells
  18. Dan

Dan Registered User

Probably. To pull the plug on two massive money making industries that employ thousands of people would probably be a hassle the government would never want.

However, the laws they've wrote are completely contradicting themselves. Legal or illegal, drugs can kill and seriously damage a persons health. Someone taking or supplying illegal drugs can be locked up and labelled a criminal yet for legal drugs it acceptible!? Its completely flawed. As far as im aware, under the same situation laws should apply to everbody?
  19. forks

forks still not dead

illegal drugs is a massive money making industry employing thousands of people. Just the state has decided to give it all to gangsters. madness.
  20. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

w/e.

illegal or not people are still going to strive to get wrecked. it's the youth law.

i think it's mad since the gov. could probably bring us out of the recession by taxing drugs like this, however it's probably costing a mint to prevent it. it's a bit naive saying that tbh - but i've spent the best part of 3 years working hard and then finding the best way to get smashed on the right amount of money on the weekend. it goes without saying for alot of my mates as well.

the joke is that this new legal 'research chem' is looking the best way to get wrecked on the cheap (and for that matter on the legal) these days. for the first time in about 5 month i was out in south shields on a thursday night - which is grim at it's very best - and in the main club (basically the same punter characteristic as Blu bamboo/tiger/liquid but even more low rent (yes. rent can become that low)) a VERY large amount of people were getting chucked out and handed to police for M-cat (meow, Bubbles, 4-Methylmethcathoine and so on... and so on...). so it goes to show that if they are going to prevent it this much, clever chemists are just going to produce shit that will get people smashed on the legal even if it's going to potentially cause more harm than the mainstream Class A's that we were all striving to find beforehand - and because it's legal, even the mainstream "oh look at me, i'm listning to Kanye west while off my box" Crew will get a hold of it, causing a greater stigma, and causing it to be banned quicker.

IMO - the mint cowies that are circulating are a response to the legal shit. as soon as it's made illegal it's the PCP/Piz/up for days without a meal highway for all again.

....joy.

not.
  21. forks

forks still not dead

the home sec is left twisting in the wind over this since it is patently true that cannabis and ecstasy are less dangerous to society than alcohol but no one can admit that because it would show the whole drugs policy to be based on nothing more than ignorance prejudice and vested interests. So they continue to try to maintain that they are 'lethal' ( G Brown) 'wreck lives' (A Johnson) whilst the really lethal drugs like nicotine are sold and used by millions legally.
    It's lovely to see reality smash up the rhetoric. It only happens now and again but its very refreshing.

I wonder what the real effects of legalised ecstasy would be?