do you thinkit fair if ????

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jay Jay, Jan 27, 2003.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jay Jay

Jay Jay

siting being gutted about not going on friday
    do you thinkit fair if ????

do you think its when your a dj and you play out quite a bit and your talking to a small time promoter to play at there night and they say
    'just send me a tape cd or md then we see'

well this is wat you should say back to them
    FCUK OFF why the hell should i give you a tape to listen to in your car or walkman for on your way to work and to sit and pick faults with it
    small time promoters man they do my head in

wat is other peoples & djs view on this annoying subject???
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. spud693

spud693 Registered User

erm... well they aint gonna let u play if they aint heard ya are they, no matter how small they may be.
  4. El Maracca

El Maracca Registered User

thats just how it is innit. what other way would you prefer? :D
  5. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

Re: do you thinkit fair if ????

:lol:
    gav want a cd or sommat?

well its a good way of checking that u can actaully mix?

how else do u propose they do it?
  6. DJSequoia

DJSequoia Registered User

If I was running a night, I'd ask for same thing...
  7. DJPAUL

DJPAUL Registered User

me 2 erm who would give a DJ a set if they had not actually heard them play makes no sense!
  8. fizz

fizz Registered User

well jay jay, im a 'small time promoter', i would class myself as a successful one too, especially managing to get coachloads of people to a converted barn in the middle of nowhere and back again.

anyways, the reason we ask for a tape/cd/md is yes 1. to find out if u can mix and to judge how good u r, in comparison to other djs who have already handed us mixes. We obviously want the better djs to play who can pull a crowd.

2. we need to know what style of music your playing so we can fit you in at the right time!!!

You say just because u play out regularly doesnt mean you actually do..... provide evidence!!!! flyers with name on??
    references?? can you pull a crowd? do u have supporters??

This all adds up when selecting a dj to play.

Anyways, above all that my new night Naughty starts soon and gives the chance to up and coming djs to get their name on flyers etc..... so send me a mix cd!!!! lol
  9. Allie

Allie Registered User

Well Jay Jay, I know lots of promoters, both 'big time' and 'small time'. All of them will always ask for a mix tape or CD before booking a DJ, even when those DJs play out very regularly, at some of the country's best nights.

Let me advise you on one thing, never ever get full of yourself as a DJ, until you have the right to.

When every club in the world is begging you to play, and offering you silly money to do so, like a few 'big name' DJs, then you can stop handing out demos. Until then, I'd continue of you want to get anywhere.

I personally wouldn't class myself as a bad DJ, mostly from the feedback I've had from other DJs, promoters, etc., but I wouldnt dare of telling a promoter to fuck off.

At the end of the day, that promoter is doing you a favour. There'd be 1000s more where you came from.

Fizz pointed out perfectly that promoters don't only want demos from you as proff that you can mix (Although it does help!), but also to try and get a better idea or your style, to fit you into a slot properly.

To be honest I think you should kinda take a step back a bit, and think about whether or not you really wanna get anywhere in this game, and if you do, maybe change your attitude. :)
  10. Congay

Congay Registered User

Im with you Jay.

Its a insult in a way.

These Mickey Mouse nights are normally held in sub-standard venues with sub-standard equipment anyway.

If someone is playing out anyway & you know hes playing the style you want...... why bother listening to CD or MD. ANYBODY could do a perfect CD or MD...... you could just keep going back untill you got it right. Barry Big Nose said this to Gav Green when we had him on at Good Greef..... instead he let Gav play half a dozen tunes and from that wanted him back.

I remember when Trevor Francis asked a little known French International to play a practise match behind closed doors to see if he was worth signing on a FREE transfer. The Frenchman refused. "I play for France..... why should I play for you Sheff Wed reserves? you know what I can do"

As soon as he stormed out of the club he was snapped up by Howard Wilkinson at Leeds......no need for a trial!

His name.............. ERIC CANTONA!
  11. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

And just where would the majority of DJs be without small time promoters? Yes Teknofish, they do often have to put on nights in small venues with not the best equipment, but at least they are trying to do something. It costs a shed load of money to put a night on, and the majority of 'small time promoters' can't afford the best venues even if they were available.

There is nothing more annoying as a promoter than some small time DJ come along and expect a gig because he's played a couple of mates' parties and his local pub and suddenly expects to be put on anywhere. If they are good enough, then a CD will give some indication of that and a promoter may given him a slot, but why should a promoter risk their money and reputation for some little gob-shite who thinks they are the next big thing when they can't even back it up with a CD? ALL DJs send out CDs etc to promoters, even the bigger DJs.

If you want a gig where you don't have to send a CD, put your own night on!
  12. An@rchy

An@rchy Registered User

5 mins from your gaff with a case of lager in the
    lmfao!

do you think they actually listen to your cd? If you're lucky it might end up as a coffee mat
  13. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

It depends on the promoter. A 'small time' promoter is probably more likely to listen to it than some of the bigger ones.
  14. An@rchy

An@rchy Registered User

5 mins from your gaff with a case of lager in the
    Jay, it's called marketing yourself. Think of it as junk mail. Most just goes straight into the bin, some gets listened to, some might get you work.

How would you expect to the any work doing anything without demonstrating that you're capable?

Me going to RAF recruitment....

Me: I wanna be a fighter pilot!
    RAF: Can you fly a jet?
    Me: ...urm..... YEAH!
    RAF: OK, here's the keys, it's parked out back. Just go bomb Baghdad will you?
  15. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

You what?!?!?

We're not talking gatecrasher here, we're talking small local nights held in pubs.... Most the promoters are over the moon when they get a free toy in their coco pops nevermind a free cd.... of course they listen to them. Most small time promoters dream of finding undiscovered talent who'll make their night the next godskitchen.

Your mistaken my friend - most small time promoters DO listen to your tape.

And Jay Jay if you feel insulted by someone asking for the equivelant of your CV don't play at his fucking night... but to be fair I wouldn't let you play at my neices birthday party unless I knew you could deliver the goods.

get over yourself your not tiesto your a LOCAL DJ!
  16. Ché

Ché Registered User

Jay Jay... Is This aimed @ VUZZ? :confused:

Anyway... Most of the replies on here are very valid! Even Technofishs... If Guy Ornadel asked to play at Vuzz, I wouldnt ask for a tape beacause Ive heard of him, know how he plays and know hes got a reputation.(I know he wouldnt, just an example)

If you think you are above giving a 'small time' promoter a tape to listen to then you dont really desrve to play at their night. Do you?

You may have played out a few times... This doesnt mean that everyone will have heard of you/know what you play. Thats wht I would ask you for a tape or summit.
  17. Mr. Revel

and if it was aimed @ Vuzz its hardly gonna help your chances of playing is it?

if i was Gav/Che id probably tell you to 'fuck off' as well!
  18. Ché

Ché Registered User

were above that m8! :D :p
  19. Rozz

Rozz Registered User

Re: do you thinkit fair if ????

I could say alot about your comments here............ however, all I will say is get over yourself, grow up. You wont get very far with an attitude like that. Nobody likes to be told to fuck off, especially when they are creating an opportunity for you.......... being a cocky twat wont get you far, sorry!
  20. Congay

Congay Registered User

Gav would you play if you paid him 10 pounds.

That boy has no morals.
  21. Mr. Revel

has gav got a mini disc player?