Do you think its wrong ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HannahWild, Jul 13, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. HannahWild

HannahWild Registered User

Do you think its wrong ....

to hate someone for the state of their mental health?

I recently bumped into an old friend at the docs who is now a reet mess and on all kinds of medication to keep her on the rails. To me though she still the same person she's always been and I :love: her ..... although I could have done without her driving me home lastnight AFTER taking all her meds 'Hannah you're going to have to steer' :eek: :lol:

I find a hell of a lot of people dont understand people with mental health problems and they instantly look down their noses at them and sometimes be down right cruel and which in turn only makes matters worse :down: Is it that they genuinely dont know anything about mental health issues or are they being down right horrible?

Answers on a postcard please :)
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. paul

paul Registered User

Re: Do you think its wrong ....

Personally I think its purely due to ignorance and a lack of knowledge / understanding, however this by no means justifies it
  4. magicpaul

magicpaul Registered User

Treating anyone like crap regardless of the state of their mental health is wrong.
  5. Chris_Spence

Chris_Spence Registered User

what he said ^
  6. HannahWild

countless times I have witnessed people taking the piss out of someone whos 'crazy' and whenever I do, I in a way wish for them to one day experience it and see how they like it! :down: I swear some idiots our there think people choose to be 'mental' :down:

/rant of the day :p
  7. cazz

cazz Registered User

its totally ignorant to hate someone cos of the state of their mental health!!

i have a really close friend with schizophrenia and she is the one of the most loveliest people i have ever met, i treat her no differently from anyone else
  8. HannahWild

Nuff said! :up:

One of my best friends is a psychiatric nurse and he too agrees that many people are ignorant ... even people who care for them often just see them as clients rather than the person that they really are.
  9. cazz

cazz Registered User

most of the the time you have no control of becoming mentally ill, just like u have no control over becoming physically ill, so why do a lot of people treat it differently :(

mental health has always been and wil always be a taboo subject :(
  10. HannahWild

Yeah and if you're mentally unwell you more often than not have it held against you. People cant see what is the illness and what is you :down: Ignorance :down:
  11. magicpaul

I think it can SOMETIMES work both ways tho.

Some people think that those who suffer from depression are doing it as a form of attention seeking and that they would never really do anything to hurt themselves. Sometimes this may be the case but I find it really hard to understand how some people are prepared to carelessly toy with the emotions of someone who may or may not harm themselvs. It's not big and it's not clever.

Unless you are a qualified psychiatrist you are not in any position to make judgements about someone elses mental health.
  12. HannahWild

Im hearing that :up:

Depression is very hard to understand, its very complex .... but at the same time people that suffer from it often find great comfort in the smallest of things and if they cannot achieve it, it can push them in completely the opposite direction. It often may seem completely stupid to the person that they ask of it which is why its so hard to understand but Id always give someone whos depressed anything that they ask of me ..... simply because its not a game to them. It can be a matter of life or death!
  13. magicpaul

Yeah but you can't rely on someone else to make you feel better. In my experience the times you need your "friends" the most are the times they don't wanna know!
  14. HannahWild

Yeah watch em flee :lol:

Its not about relying on someone to make you feel better .... sometimes you have this feeling of the only way out being 'such and such' and if you cant make it be, it sends you deeper now. Its quite hard to grasp, unless you have been there yourself.

Im reading this book at the mo called 'Prozac Nation' its by a bird who battled with depression and she explains it very well ... even if you have never been there yourself it gets the message across of exactly how her mind worked.
  15. kidd

kidd Techno_walruz

one of my best mates got full blown schitsophrenia (spelt wrong but im thick) when he was bout 18. he didnt want to know any of us any more n actually broke my nose cos of the mental things he was thinkin. i dont see him much anymore but thats mostly down 2 his choices n not mine. i think he keeps away cos he knows he cant trust himself not 2 do owt stupid. its a shame cos we all wanted to stand by him n help him out but in the end its his choice n if he dont wana see us then itl make him worse if we push it. Mental Illness is a shit thing n the worst part of it is it could happen to anyone. people dont seem to realise that.
  16. HannahWild

:up:
  17. heather

heather Balder than Pike!

buiding a compost heap...Bill Oddie Rules!
    id love to hear some of this boards views on this topic. a lot of people on this board find mental illness funny and will torment people with one for their amusment.

as some1 who has suffered from mental illness since i was 15, i have found a lot of people are incredibly small minded. They associate mental illness with nuthouses and straight jackets.

I reakon, a lot of these small minded people have mentally ill friends. Most of the time we're just too scared to tell people because of the crap that comes with it.

Im not scared anymore though. This is me. This is my illness. Im coping with it, and if others cant, then they're not the people i want in my life.
  18. HannahWild

Well fucking said chick :up: :love:
  19. Miss T

Miss T Registered User

:clap: :clap: :clap:
  20. *em*

*em*

I actually work aat the hospital with the mental patients.... when i first started working in bede wing I was absolutely terrified of the patients :cry:

Everyone has got a heart of gold, but they've definatly got split personalities... One woman just tried to attack me this morning cos i said hello :evil: :eek:

It's quite scary but there just normal people like anyone else... people go in bede wing for depression, drugs, alcohol etc. :)
  21. Katie

Katie Registered User

Of course it is wrong to hate somebody because of the state of their mental health.

However, it can be very hard for people close to those with a mental illness to understand how that person is feeling..which can lead to all sorts of disasters.

Very very hard to understand sometimes.