Dance Music and it's Life Cycle

Discussion in 'Music' started by Anth_SureFire, Aug 14, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Anth_SureFire

Anth_SureFire The rhythm, the rebel

Dance Music and it's Life Cycle

Is it me, or does dance music seem to exist within a cycle of approx. 10 years before something changes. And why is it when this change comes about we see so many dickheads exploiting it??

Allow me to elaborate! In 1989 house music really started to make it's way on to the map. In a couple of years time Sasha was being hailed as the second coming (the first coming being Digweed, who would then have to finish Sasha off).

Fast forward to '99 and Ibiza Uncovered is all over the telly, there's outcry at the drugs and sex bonanza that is Ibiza and trance takes on a religious status. Cue compilation after compilation - Ibiza 99, Clubbers Guide to Ibiza, Trance Euphoria, Judge Jules' Clubbed, Dave Pearce - Who?

It was well documented that 2001 and 2002 were cited as years in which dance music had hit a recession. The scene had gotten way overblown, as has the 'Superstar DJ's' heads. The chancers who'd only gone to Ibiza to "see that Tiesto bloke" play had gone back to listening to RnB and getting ratted down the Bigg Market.

This proved to be healthy for the scene as the underground started producing some fine, pure, talent. by '04/'05 the minimal and techno scenes were starting to emerge. 'Electro' had a nice buzz to it and for a while was a cool genre of dance music and things were looking up!

Fast forward to now. 2thousandandfucking9. 10 years on and I can not for the life of me escape that fuckin ugly helmet of a man David Guetta. Gan let Will.I.Am Suck Your Dick If You're So Famous! Ibiza is, again, swamped. Every man, woman, boy, girl, dog, charva, toff, celebrity, Jordan has been there this year. I was there for the opening parties and it was pretty cool. Reports since are it's a mess. Obviously this is hearsay on my part but it makes sense to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if Judge Jules fucking bought a space rocket come October, it'll be a drop in the ocean for the twat he's made so much money this season. The mixture of dance/RnB is getting out of control. Indie/Electro drives me to murder an Emo. Again, this seemed to be a decent little movement til the bandwagon was well and truly jumped on. I'm under no illusions that there is some great underground music out there and some fine talented producers/DJ's. It just doesn't sit right with me that it all seems to work on a cyclic basis, and someone has to suffer when the fallout comes, which will no doubt occur in about 2yrs time. By then the top tier will all be rich whilst the rest of us are recovering from the recession!

*sigh* So to clarify my point... What do you think of the Black Eyed Peas? Alreet aren't they?? Fergie's worth one, definitely.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    people should take things back to there roots and use what god gave us , the outdoors , for free :)
  4. Anth_SureFire

nice one, top one, get sorted ;)

i'd also like to point out that this rant is mostly for humour purposes, and while i do stand by the general consensus of this post i mostly did it just to vent my hatred toward david guetta. i swear, if i see him clapping his hands like a downs seal once more... oooooh why i oughtta!
  5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    david ' spastichappyclapper' guetta
  6. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Good thread :)

I think (or hope) that some of it is coming to a natural end. I dont really like the massive clubbing brands much these days (although im a hippocrite and go to them occasionally) that, although they 'got us here' in many ways ... now do nothing more than make me feel empty when i see them announce their events or lineups.

There continues to be so much amazing stuff out there, but its overshadowed by so much pomp and circumstance that i hate, and i really really hope the recession takes some wind out of some sails.

I'd say something like Goodgreef (although ive only ever been to junior G) is about 'right' in my opinion where it has as much of a 'brand' as i personally want to see a clubbing night have, and as much of a following.

Clubbing brands in Las Vegas or Dubai nightclubs carrying little more than a logo and an air of 'cool' about them that may or may not amount to anything good ... is all wrong in my books. Whether you like it or not, dance music evolved from a gritty, drug fuelled and DIY type set of values and people and even though these people were all there to where we are now (or alot of them) ... what we have now is a clinical and distilled, poor version of what it was only 5-6 years ago. Little more than a logo and something to brag about to your mates.

To me, clubbing should be small and satellite in nature, with no big money to finance massive expansion plans, to MAKE people seek out the stuff and people they want to see and hear.

I dont like the cross over between mainstream pop stars and dance music. It can fuck right off in my opinion.
  7. Congay

Congay Registered User

Has late licensing for bars fucked nightclubs and their sound? probably. Nightclub attendances are down therefore people listening to underground music is also down
  8. Anth_SureFire

What Brid said!

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head there mate. That's pretty much what I wanted to convey until I started getting wound up :lol:

I mean, Pukka Up. What. The. Fuck. Is all that about? Who told Fran Cosgrave he could DJ?? Yeah, the big cash cow branded clubnites get my goat totally.

Personally I hate this scenario where big corporate brands are expoiting the music scene. Brands who have never even been associated with music!! Companies like Orange, Nokia and Coca Cola claiming they're edgy and cool by associating themselves with live music etc.

And finally, aye, pop stars and dance music. It's just wrong. Guetta has to be the epitome of everything I despise in the world of dance music I have to say. Of course he's not the only one out there, but I pick on him 'cos he's the ugliest. Fucking :dongcopter: that he is...
  9. WorldonFire

WorldonFire No Pressure

loving the guetta hate the fucking helecopter nob