Calzaghe retires

Discussion in 'Sport' started by LeeTheMackem, Feb 5, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. LeeTheMackem

LeeTheMackem Lets Cacky Tash Him

Calzaghe retires

Good decision :clap:

Hopefully he means it and wont be tempted back by a ridculous purse offer
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

he has nothing else to do. pleased he has retired a legend. (boxing wise) he would have had a lot more to lose than to gain if had had a few more fights :up:
  4. LeeTheMackem

I wonder if he will regret holding back though and not always fighting the best fighters around.I think hes class but in 20 years time will he be remembered as a legend on par with the likes of Lewis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali and Prince Naseem Hamed (the last ones a joke).
  5. Aaron!

Aaron! Coming soon...

He's a legend. I still would have liked to see him a few more fights though as i think he still has 2-3 left in him that he could have won and further cemented his place in history and still retired unbeaten.
  6. Doug

Doug

great decision.

pissed me off the amount of people who were saying his legacy was in doubt becoz he wouldnt fight 1st - pavlik, then chad dawson even tho he was a world title holder at MW and SMW and unified the division and even beat kessler (convincly after 4th round) who's seen and is the kiddy now at SMW.

once hopkins put pavlik to bed a few people shut up about that fight but there's always a new comer who the top dog has to shut up and the latest is chad dawson even tho he's not even a natural light heavy
  7. Doug

Doug

fighting roy jones jnr was a waste of time tho, even tho he has probs the best p4p fighter in the last 20 years on his record.

was embarrassing watching it, was so past it it wasnt even funny.

jones would of crucified him when b oth would have bee in their prime
  8. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

what do you think his best performance ever was?

there are a few, but i would go for Lacy in 2006
  9. Doug

Doug

yeah lacey was pure domination, when all the yanks were saying he was the best thing since £35 bags of sniff

i thought his fight wiv eubank or kessler was imo
  10. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

he was class against Kessler, then again so was Kessler, it was a great fight allround, i am too young to remember the Eubank fight but from what i have read/heard since that one was class as well
  11. Doug

Doug

i was as well, seen it on 'joe looks back' on setanta, got it virgin +'d.

all his best fights, his closest was against robyn reid.

but his fight wiv kessler, alot of people and experts reckoned he'd lost it and the younger much bigger kessler would beat him.

it was in his back yard but he's the champ so its expected, but the last 6 rounds he give him a lesson in how to box
  12. Doug

Doug

tbh tho he's kno where near the level sugar ray, lenord, ali etc were. i'd say de lay hoya, mayweather, hopkins, trinidad, erik morales, barerra, juan manuel marquez, pacquioa all have way better legacy's in recent times than calzaghe IMO (past 2 decades)

in the ATG list all these would be ahead of joe.
  13. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

Carl Froch is a right bitter little shithead like, i rate him as a fighter but it does my head in the way he kept on shouting for the Calzaghe fight that was never going to happen EVER, and dissing calzaghe every chance he got

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/other-sports/2009/02/05/Boxing-Froch-on-Calzaghe/gnid-38896/

"But he's not had a defining fight... Yes, against me but it's not just me blowing my own trumpet"

how would beating carl Froch be a defining fight for the kid who beat eubank and kessler, and destoryed jeff lacey???? :spangled:
  14. LeeTheMackem

Froch was born 5 years to late, if they had been the same age Froch would have rights to call out Calzaghe but Froch is just hitting his prime now, If he beats Jermaine Taylor thats when Froch can start givng it the big un