Are DJs as good as they used to be?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris 00 'Ave It, Jan 28, 2003.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Chris 00 'Ave It

Chris 00 'Ave It

Are DJs as good as they used to be?

Not imo :(

There's too many run-of-the-mill jocks at the mo... ones who perform the same old, same old all the time and don't have their own identity!

There's very few people now like the likes of PvD and Sasha who have worked tirelessly to have the respect they enjoy today!

Is it because there are much more nights now, thus needing more DJs? Is it perhaps easier to get into the industry? Or are clubbers these days more easily pleased when they go out?

I DJ at home... and I only play records I like and I'm guilty of it! Rather than have my own style and identitiy I can't help but try to emulate those DJs I enjoy - in both set structure and tunage!

discuss :D
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Ché

Ché Registered User

I DJ! Ive never said Im the best DJ in the world... Because Im not! And Im not afraid to say that!

However... I would say I have my own style! (Anyone dissaggree?)
  4. Jimmy

Jimmy Registered User

I try to keep a style of my own aswell. :eek:
  5. Jay Jay

Jay Jay

siting being gutted about not going on friday
    i agree with che i have my own style but im not best dj around
    the best way to keep your style of its owen is to play wat you like and not wat your friends like or are playing.
  6. fizz

fizz Registered User

i have my own style too, banging techno, but i would never play it out to the events i play for because it wouldnt go down well.
    The main reason here is cos i like to entertain, like to get the crowd going, and if the crowd likes me, i get support, even if i have to play like 'judge jules' (yes Che!!!!). Keep everyone happy, that way you gain more respect from a lot of people, you can play different set times at a number of different nights.
    Its called getting support and your name known... look at Kerry James, shes doing well for herself and she doesnt just play hard house!!!

thing is its kind of hard to keep your own style but yet still impress everyone, cos if you want to make it you have to be different, thing is, theres too much competition and you hear the same sounds and styles all over the place. Just life im afraid.
  7. Doggie

Doggie Registered User

i would never buy a tune that i dont love, just cos i think my mates might like it...damn... most my mates down here arent even clubbers:rolleyes:

I think i have a unique style, and hopefully when i rtn to newcastle people will get to hear it:D
  8. DJSequoia

DJSequoia Registered User

Me neither like! Hardly got any ££ as it is.
    As for own styles etc, I've got quite abit of trance and then quite a bit of harder trance. Probs have more trancey stuff. Ain't such a huge gap between the two styles but been thinking about concentrating on one style! Don't think I will though, I like both trance & hard trance so don't really wanna focus on one style! Don't wanna take things to seriously, love playing both styles so gonna keep it that way @ the min!:D
  9. Allie

Allie Registered User

Basically, I play what I like. I'd like to say I have my own style and a rather unique tune selection.
    There are various DJs I love and respect greatly, and play a similar style to, such as Deep Dish and Omid 16B. I never play a set anywhere near the same as one by any of these DJs though, maybe playing one or two tunes that they would be playing at that time.

I like to pick up tunes that don't get a big name or radio play either, helps me develop my unique tune selection.

I'd ask who agrees but erm, there's about 3 people (if that) on here that've actually seen me DJ!

I don't think there's a lack of good DJs around at the moment, the scene's just constantly growing and growing, and more and more DJs are becoming known. Obviously the A-list is still gona be there, DJs like Sasha, Digweed, Coxy, etc., but with a lot of the superclubs dying off, the smaller nights are getting more and more respect, and the more hardworking resident jocks of this world are becoming more apparent.
  10. Ché

Ché Registered User

I never buy a tune that I wouldnt play/dont like... ever. However, I can play a range of styles. IE: Hard Trance, Trance, Techno/Tech-Trance. Most of the time the I will combine them all in a set if I can!
  11. Simon Stuart

Simon Stuart Registered User

There’s never been a time like this before, so you can never compare. While we haven’t seen the end of the DJ worship I’d be surprised if anything approaching the original hype that Sasha received will ever be duplicated. There’s also the problem of saturation. Clubbing is so ubiquitous it’s harder for many people to really filter through the crap. In the 70’s or 80’s for example you would go down the club, see a live act and get mortal and this was the norm. This was your only real choice. If you were in the know you’d maybe find a soul or funk all nighter.
    Now there are ‘House’ nights every fucking where and as different people believe House to be different things then the quality is bound to go all over.
    Take Ibiza, people say it’s shite and isn’t what it was. Ok, it might have changed as everywhere does (and should) but look under the surface, dig around and you still find amazing parties with amazing people and DJ’s.

There are DJ’s making it, pushing it and trying to change the way people feel - myself included. I may not succeed as much as I’d probably like but then you can have it all, all the time. Work your arse off and eventually you’ll reap the rewards.
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

PVD, Sasha and big name dj's of an era long gone were huge because they brought something new... they pioneered a fresh sound that people weren't used to just as acts like new order or even alice cooper had done before them...

The dance marketplace is much larger now and has so much diversity, it would be extremely hard for any dj to grow to their size again. First come first served.... But if you look at vertical genres like say hard house dj's are doing the same to that as sasha and pvd did to prog trance/trance - just because it aint to your tasting it don't mean the dj's aren't talented... take the likes of glazby who have pioneered there own sound and re-invented the hard house sound... not an easy thing to do.

Dance music has never had so much variety and if anything the market is flooded with talented dj's - theres not enough room for every1.
  13. Dez

Dez Registered User

I'd say some of the house DJs are very talented - 3 decks,loops, acapellas. A lot of the trance / hard dance DJs just seem to do simple beat mixing which is easier and less risky
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

what an uneducated comment :p
  15. chickenlipsr4

chickenlipsr4

Better if anything:D