Advice please....;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lulu, Dec 2, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Lulu

Lulu Registered User

Advice please....;)

I have a very important job interview next thursday....i'm looking for advice on how no get rid of nerves....i'm not very good with this sort of situation and i feel sick and get very stuttery and fumble over my words and forget important things.

Getting over this hurdle would be great if anyone has any serious advice.

Any other advice would be nice too, its been a long time since i had an interview.

:D
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. ZeGermens

ZeGermens I Am A Fucking Hero

i dont kno any proper techniques but everytime i go for an interview i always just take a few deep breaths, take your time to read up about the company your going to for the inetrview and read up on anything that u might need for the job

the more you kno the more confident you will feel going into the interview!

failing this go for a pint :lol: or not lol

hope it goes well :)
  4. Congay

Congay Registered User

have a drink before hand BUT NOT TOO MUCH. Just a shot or two. :D
  5. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Re: Advice please....;)

[​IMG]

Never go without
  6. Vicky Vegas

Vicky Vegas .................

Best thing is to "Practice the interview", either on your own, or with someone else, the main aim being to say the words you want to say outload, so you become familiar with saying them, in the same way you would learn lines for a play.
    The nerves happen because you don't know what to expect, so as long as you plan for the type of questions you'll be asked (and answers you'll give) you should be fine.
    A little nerves are good - it's adrenalin, and shoukld help you focus, as long as you're prepared.
    Good luck :)
  7. Shortee

Shortee back of the net

Calms that you get from herbal shops are great for nerves (especially the ones for dogs lol) you would need to start taking it asap though, just a couple of drops on the back of your tongue each night for a few days before the interview, then a few more drops the morning of interview.

I used to swear by the stuff, i shat myself on all 3 of my driving tests, had calms on my 4th and wasnt nervous at all! Passed with flying colours, also had them when I went for interviews :up:
  8. robby_41

robby_41 Shearer!

I have a presentation on free radicals coming up shortly. To be honest I am not too nervous about it, because i have learned to put myself in the 'zone' were I suddenly become really confident for some reason, if that makes sense lol.

Try it!
  9. Rory Space

Rory Space Gonny wreck yir fucking hoose Sweat tits

We think alike :lol:
  10. crasher_chick

crasher_chick I .....

Deffo take some 'calms' like...I had an interview every day for a week for 5 different teaching jobs. Got the one I wanted...they work wonders!! You need to start taking them now though so that they are in your system.

The best thing you can do is have a nice hot bath, an early night and try not to think about it too much. Do all the background info you need to, make notes of you need to! Ask someone to have a practise interview with you...sometimes words are harder to phrase when you actually speak them, as opposed to when you think them!

Good luck! :)
  11. Hebburnite

Hebburnite Shabba

Find the clip of Spud's interview in Trainspotting as how NOT to be interviewed :)

Prepare answers for the killer & predicible questions such as;

'Tell me one of your strengths' ( avoid 'perfectionist'!)
    'where do you see yourself in five years'
    'Tell me a bit about yourself'

and the relative questions to the post, such as a customer service role..

'tell me when you have experienced bad customer service'
    'how did this feel and what did you do'

good luck
  12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    i once got a job .

the spliff helped .
  13. Lulu

Lulu Registered User

now you of all people know this isnt an option for me....

...neither is a couple of shots or a pint, i'd be pissed mortal of either!!!

I have just remembered i bought some Calm and Clear Australian Bush Flower essence from the hippy shop i Hexham, i'll give that a bash.

thanks for the advice people...xx
  14. Lamb

Lamb Registered User

Just stay calm, dont rush around before hand. Have a good nights sleep, know exactly what your going to be talking about etc. And most of all, be completely honest. Dont see it as an interview, see it as a conversation. These people arent going to kill you, they just want to get to know you.
    Go in there with the knowledge that you are exactly what they want, but dont be to big headed. Depending on what they are like, try and be a bit comical, it always helps (aslong as they seem relaxed).
    Also wearing something you feel really comfortable in! You dont want to feel physically uncomfortable during the interview.
  15. forks

forks still not dead

the only successful interviews I ever had were the ones where I didn't care if I got the job or not. not caring makes you relaxed.
    so you need to pretend you don't need it then you'll get it.
  16. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

Do as much research into the company and job as you can
    Learn your CV inside out
    Recruitment Agencies usually have sample question sheets on their websites, get ideas from these.
    Memories the answers
    Get a couple of questions in at the start, this puts you on an equal standing.

If you dont do the above then you have no place to moan that you didnt get the job. A guy i know goes for so many interviews, never prepares for them and then moans that he never gets a new job...foolio

Remember that both parties are being interviewed. The interview is your time to find out if the job is right for you aswell as them finding out if you are right.
  17. Mad4it

Mad4it Faster than a cannonball

Just make your lips look like your av and make suggestive faces at your interviewer. Bobs your uncle.

Unless the interviewer is a woman...........
  18. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    Re: Advice please....;)

shag b4 u go in, its suppose to calm you down i wouldnt know this to be fact just hear say as ive never had sex b4
  19. Lulu

Lulu Registered User

Re: Re: Advice please....;)

you have, it just didnt last very long. :love:

i dont have sex out of choice, richards just not very good at it...lol
  20. MR KUHNT

MR KUHNT fifi man

HONEY...WHEN YOU GOTTA GO TO AN INTERVIEW AND YOU NEED YOUR NERVES TO BE ICE COOL LIKE MR KUHNT HERE, YOU SIMPLY GOTTA REMEMBER THE 3 S's!

SNIFF

SOME

SPEED
  21. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Find out what you can about the company, either online or by ringing them and asking for information.

Do a search on the people who are interviewing you (if you have names).

Think about the type of questions they might ask, and prepare your answers. These might be specific to the job, or more general ones like those given by Hebburnite. Other classics are: "What are your weaknesses", "Give an example of when you have found a task difficult and how have you overcome it", that kind of thing.

Have some questions of your own (that go deeper than salary, hours etc - ask about training, ongoing support, future prospects, how the company sees itself developing etc). Have them written down so you don't forget.

Don't be afraid of silence - if you answer the question, and they don't say anything immediately, don't try to fill up the silence unless you have something constructive to add. Lots of people are afraid of silence and say something ridiculous because they think the gap needs to be filled.

Take your time to answer a question. As with the above, lots of people rush to say something without considering it first.

If you are worried about forgetting things, write them down! There is nothing wrong with writing prompts down for yourself and referring to them so you don't miss anything important.