UK Text Messages Set To Hit 52 Billion

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by TheSpence, Nov 5, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. TheSpence

TheSpence Registered User

UK Text Messages Set To Hit 52 Billion

Britons now send over a billion text messages a week - as many as were sent in the whole of 1999, new research has revealed.

People in the UK sent 4,825 billion texts during September 2007, an increase of 25% on last year, according to the Mobile Data Association (MDA).

This equates to 4,000 SMS messages every second - or 70 per person per month.

The MDA, an industry group that promotes the use of mobile data, attributes Britain's growing love of texting to new deals from phone companies and the personal nature of text messages.

It said there had also been a significant increase in UK businesses communicating with customers and workers via SMS.

Following September's sharp increase, the MDA has revised its forecast for this year's annual total from 48 billion to 52 billion texts.

Last year 41.8 billion messages were sent in the UK.

MDA chairman Mike Short said: "The UK text volumes show no real signs of abating.

"The UK sits within the top six of the global league of countries sending text messages.

"While the trend towards operators offering 'all-you-can-eat' tariffs increases, this will act as a catalyst for consumers' passion for all things mobile."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is one of the reasons I got rid of having a mobile the amount of pointless crap people feel the urge to send you. Every time your try sort something as simple as going to the pub it took 5 or more texts to sort out, when 5 second phone does the same.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    Re: UK Text Messages Set To Hit 52 Billion

totally agree with ure last statement there like chuck
  4. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

They're weird in a way. They've kind of taken the invention of the telephone and took it back a step.
  5. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    i remember when i first got a mobile fone you could fit alot more into what they class as 1 txt message then u can now.

anyone else think that txt messages hav got smaller?

doesent bother me i hav unlimited
  6. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

dunno, they do have a personal nature about them, and they're good crack when your bored and have nothing to do, good when you cant speak openly on the phone or even communicate with people in clubs etc.

but for some stuff a call is much more reasonable, but people still intend on texting... the fools
  7. adam.

adam. kthxbi

texts have always been 160 characters