[Science Question] Will a plane take off?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.B.ThatsMe, Nov 29, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

hahahaha
  2. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

That works if we assume that there is friction between the conveyor belt and tyres, but no friction in the wheel bearings themselves - ie, if you started the conveyor belt off with the plane on it, then the plane would stand still :)
  3. Rob

Rob Registered User

You are totally correct.

Nice moves Si, I didn't think it through at all.:king:
  4. Rob

Rob Registered User

It still works, just imagine the plane is on a big sheet of ice, it will still take off as the thrust will far exceed the friction.
  5. French William

French William _________________

I've said all along the wheel speed doesn't matter. The plane will still not be moving relative to the air around it, so will not take off.

I bet your house on it too.
  6. Rob

Rob Registered User

I think Si is right mate.

I'm gonna phone my Dad and ask him, he knows stuff like this. :)
  7. French William

French William _________________

We'll go 50/50 if he doesn't know. Don't think asking the 'audience' would prove too fruitful.
  8. Rob

Rob Registered User

haha, think this is a little high brow for the thread participants never mind the general board population. :D
  9. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

the whole aregument is that the wheels are gong the same speed as the conveyor. the planes movement is provided by engines. take this as an example.

the planes engines ar at full pelt if it was on a runway its wheels would be going say 200 mph or whatever. so in response to the question the conveyor would be doing 200 mph. there for the plance would not move. as the question said if the conveoyr was matching the speed of the wheels at any given time. so no mater how fast the wheels are going the conveyor is matching it.

im im walking at 5mph on a treadmill then the mill itself is going round at 5mph and im not going forwards or backwards im staying in the middle. same with the plane
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

he asked the wrong question
  11. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

That's what confused me at first, I misunderstood the question too, but Si is right. The conveyor would make the wheels spin in the opposite direction - add this vector to the forward speed of the plane, and the wheels move at 2x whatever speed the conveyor is moving at - so, the wheels don't 'go at the same speed as the conveyor'. :D

This wouldn't influence the plane (disregarding G and friction) because the wheels aren't driven, therefore it would be moving relative to the air and lift would be created :up:

Summary: shit question. :D
  12. Lee

are we all trying to answer colins first question or has another been asked?
  13. Rob

Rob Registered User

If the belt always moves at the same speed as the wheels isn't it impossible for the plane to move? :spangled:

Seeing as the wheels are not the drive method the wheels will not spin at all so the engines will fire up but the plane/wheels and belt will sit still!?!?

I get the question fully now and it's really twisting my melon.
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I wasted a day on this you'd be wise to ignore ;)
  15. Rob

Rob Registered User

If the belt matches the speed of the wheels (ground speed) it will never take off.

If the belt matches the speed of the plane (air speed) is will take off as normal.

So to answer the original question, it will not take off.

I think. :up:
  16. Lee

:D thats what ave been saying
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

and what I've been saying:

lol 115 post and we're all saying the same thing :cry:
  18. JockB

JockB Registered User

Are you all on this salvia? :lol:
  19. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

The distance the wheel moves forward is
    d = A - B
    where A = the velocity of the outer rim of the wheel and B = the velocity of the top of the conveyor
    Relative to a point marked on the ground next to the 'starting point' of the plane, the ONLY way the plane will move forward is if the plane's wheel covers more ground then what it's sitting on. Normally this is the runway which doesn't move so d = A - 0 = A
    If the plane is sitting on a conveyor (B) that moves at one quarter the speed of A then B = .25A
    d = A - 0.25A = 0.75A
    So the wheels would have to spin faster to cover the same d

But since A = B
    d = A - A = 0

The plane couldn't move.

^
    That's basically the result of the post in the other forums. :p
  20. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Thats childs play

a real quote:

"Rolls Royce RB.211 engine produces 140-270 kilonewtons of thrust.

900,000 pound aircraft = about 4000 kN.

For the wheels of the aircraft, let's assume teflon on steel (which would be a higher coefficient of friction then something that's lubricated properly, or that uses ball-bearings)

4000 kN x 0.04 = 160 kN friction.

Which means there is at least 400 kN left over to propel an airplane. (A 747 has four of these engines) 400,000N / 400,000kg = 1 m/s^2 Not much, but it's a start. And that's all it needs.

We're all familiar with acceleration, but how many of us have heard of "Jerk". Just like acceleration is a change of speed, Jerk is a change of acceration. most moving object usually experience negative jerk because of the increase of air friction at higher speeds, and this might suggest that the airplane might not be able to take off because it will reach a terminal velocity. A 747 with 1 MN can travel at about 950 km/h. So let's say the drag is 1MN @ 950 km/h. Usually if we cut the speed in half, then the drag would be divided by four. But for the sake of over-exaggerating the number to try and stop this plane from flying, i'll cut the numbers proportionally. so 1MN = 950km/h then 400 kN = 380 km/h

A MiG has an unusually fast take-off speed of 340 km/h. Still below this artificially low terminal velocity.

But,
    As soon as the airplane starts moving in generates lift. This lift reduces the Normal force acting on the plane, and thus reduces the force of friction acting on the plane, which increase acceleration. Therefore increasing lift, reducing friction, increasing velocity, increasing lift, reducing friction etc."

The plane flew.