Pointless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by loopyloosy, Nov 23, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

he was saying that all indians don't care if they die..... and as a result drive like nutters.... bit of a grand/arrogant stereotype which shows a cultural ignorance to the majority of Indias beliefs...
  2. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I think you mean "was the most powerful agent"... the last century saw more slaughter than any other era... A fraction of the killings were carried out in the name of religion.

By your logic we should be more scared of science & politics... but both have done more good than bad (I think?)

And I believe the same holds true for religion.
  3. Ness

Ness Registered User

That number is starting to creep back up now tho mate, the last 10 years religious killings have started to rise i would say. u look at fantical muslims saying "kill the infidels" because someone has read the koran a certain way, and these same people waging jihad, you'll find that its startin on that slope again.
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

creep up?

infidels killed by fanatics is in the low thousands... we're talking millions per war in the last century.
  5. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

if there was no religion im sure some countries would still find somet to fight over
  6. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

but tbh religion is holding the world back
  7. Yosef Ha'Kohain

not sure about the world... but its certainly holding this forum back ;)
  8. Ness

Ness Registered User

passing my time at work lol
  9. loopyloosy

loopyloosy Registered User

Is it not the man who is religious though?

like putting a blue flame to touch paper. adding fuel to the fire, causing people who believe in "God" to argue amongst themselves, giving more conflict and creating more difference between the people involved.

Religion, because it is not a science, and you cant prove it right in front of peoples eyes, test theories out and suchlike, will always be a point of conflict, it is just one persons 'interpretation' over another. Whereas science (apart from theories which cannot be proven and are just an educated guess such as the Bog Bang theory) can be proven, tested, replicated etc to anyone who disagrees.

I agree there would always be conflict, all im saying is religion is a cause for conflict because it can be taken literally, and interpreted in many different ways, also there are so many religions to choose from all claiming they have the answer. Only one can be right - if not science is right.

We will never know, and I feel personally that devoting my time to such an unknown is a waste.
  10. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

:lol:

A significant proportion of people in India believe that their death is preordained and that their god has decided already when they shall die.

So what's the point of buckling up? Why bother slowing for the red light?

The results are catastrophic:

2000: 78911 deaths on the roads.
    2001: 80888 deaths
    2002: 76351 deaths

I'm sure there are many factors involved, but thinking that driving safely won't make a difference has got to be a factor.

Who'd have thought....I started off with a scientific argument of the idiocy of believing something with no reason. The same arguments could bring benefits to road safety! Awesome.
  11. andy_rocks

Maybe he got the idea from G-d at Soddom and Gomorra.
  12. forks

forks still not dead

the crusades were a religious war. there would be no conflict in palestine were it not for the jewish religion convincing people they had a right to live there cos their religion says so.
  13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

what did the salughter at s & g have to do with homosexuality?
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

you know fuck all about zionism forks... the early zionists weren't religious in the slightest... THEY WERE ATHIESTS.

The crusades were a reaction ot muslim conquests (which had nothing to do with religion), the very first crusade was a response to a call from the Byzantine Empire for help fight the expansion of the Muslim Seljuq dynasty.... The crusades were clashes of two powerful cultures which would of clashed with or without religion.
  15. Yosef Ha'Kohain

but no ones asking you devote anytime... i just find it sad that the occidental mindset takes so much pleasure in belittling religion.

You consider it a waste, yet it has sculpted who you are... without religion you may not have the morality that defines you.
  16. andy_rocks

Joe, you should go to Cuzco in Peru, it is a monument to religious fatuosity.

On every site of existing temples, the conquistadors came, ripped them down, enslaved the workforce, and made them build temples to their gods instead.

Architecturally very nice. Ethically distinctly distasteful.
  17. loopyloosy

loopyloosy Registered User

And I probably wouldn't have fear when I step on a plane about suicide bombers killing the infidels.

I'm sure society would be able to figure out a way of instilling a sense of morality into people without religion. Remember society today is simply ONE way of doing things, there are many many others.

Not being of a religious sort myself, beyond my upbringing I lead a relatively moral life in my own eyes, and thats all that matters really, where you get your morals from is up to you (well maybe not some if they have been conditioned with religion).
  18. andy_rocks

19. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Registered User

20. andy_rocks