more security madness

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by forks, Jul 16, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. forks

forks still not dead

more security madness

In March this year, Manchester's Halle Orchestra (the UK's oldest symphony) had to ditch plans for its US tour because of visa demands that included £45,000 in fees and a trip to the US embassy in London (185 miles away) where each traveler would be interviewed and fingerprinted.
    The Berlin-based Artemis Quartet had to cancel its U.S. tour after authorities learned its cellist had stolen a pair of tweezers in his youth.

jesus:confused:
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

Re: more security madness

wher'd you get this info from?! t'is a pure shambles that.

how on earth are people going on holiday there?
  4. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Re: Re: more security madness

You're supposed to declare anything you've ever been arrested for before going (apart from the most minor traffic offenses), and depending on what they think of your offense, it means you getting (and paying for) a paper visa in your passport, instead of just being able to use your biometric passport. If you don't declare it, you can get turned back at the airport, like a few premiership footballers have been down the years.
  5. Basic Instinct

Basic Instinct Registered User

Re: Re: Re: more security madness

Imagine shitting yourself on arrival in Australia because customs found traces of drugs on your belongings.
  6. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Re: Re: Re: Re: more security madness

:oops:
  7. Grahamy B

Grahamy B

Yeah absolute joke that like. I got refused a visa for the U.S a couple of years ago because I had a caution for posession of cannabis. I never got any kind of conviction or anything for it & apart from that my record's completly clean. They told me to re-apply in 4-5 years & if there was nothing else on my record in that time then I would have better chance of getting one.
    I had to fly to fuckin' Northern Ireland & stay in a hotel & shit as well. All for nothing! Was well pissed off
  8. forks

forks still not dead

here's the next step along the way of losing our freedoms........

the EU is considering entering a "Euro-Atlantic area of Freedom, Security and Justice' with the Americans involving the sharing of vast amounts of intelligence and information on EU citizens with the US, the development of unmanned surveillance drone aircraft and a 'European Gendarmerie Force'

Yes the very same Americans who brought you Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition and waterboarding are now to be partly responsible for your freedom and justice. Great news. I feel safer already
  9. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

i wouldn't mind if they gave us the cheap petrol :up:
  10. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

thats just France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Holland isnt it? i'm sure theres no point in having america in that since there so far away? Eurocorps are similar - but i'm sure its all the same involvement.

and even if you do contest america's involvement in this, there is NATO, or if your french; OTAN (Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord - the awkward cunts) and i must say they've been a good help (although a meddeling bunch) through troubled times.

although - The first secretary general's first recorded quote for NATO's purpose was "to keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down"

and NATO uses 70% of the worlds 'defence spending' which is top - over the USA as well!
  11. forks

forks still not dead

I think the idea would be to have a european force which would be able to go round the world righting wrongs and robbing from the poor to give to the rich and that sort of thing and thus be just like dear old uncle Sam.
  12. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i'm not really that arsed, IMO, NATO has been a peacekeeping branch - not an assualt branch.

however alot of the places that they sustain is in aftermath of 'other' countries involvements/assualts.

aftercare?
  13. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

NATO has done a lot more good than UN 'Peacekeeping'
  14. forks

forks still not dead

lets hand over the world to NATO then
  15. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

Anyone who wants to go on holiday to the US should just lie about any small offences they've had.. cautions etc aren't gonna show up unless you tell someone.

My m8 got refused a visa when he wanted to goto the US and they banned him from re-applying or entering the country for 10 years.
  16. CiaranH

CiaranH

What did he do/get done for?
  17. Mr.B.ThatsMe

He'd been arrested loads of times for being drunk & disorderly. He also "borrowed" his dads car one night and crashed it into someone's wall.. that was a pretty list of offences rolled into one.
  18. Ness

Ness Registered User

I just dont tell them.

If they knew of my history i'd have a lifetime ban from visiting the country (a few people off here would too). Basically if you have ever been arrested before, no matter whether anything came of it or not, you must apply for a visa to visit. However, if you have ever been arrested for drugs then you havent got a snowflake's chance in hell of gettin in, even if you didnt get a caution or anything.
  19. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Exactly why I acted all innocent ;)
  20. Ness

Ness Registered User

Me and Lu went over to vegas for wa honeymoon and didnt find out bout it all til 3 weeks before we went (bearing in mind it takes 4 months to get a visa). we decided to risk it and lie on the little green forms (which carries a penalty of 6 months in nick). we were stood in JFK airport shitting bricks!!!!! :lol:

had nothing to worry about, ya better off playing dumb and saying fuck all!!! :D
  21. French William

French William _________________

They do.