Media bias

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Aug 1, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Media bias

How is our news coverage any different from America?

Any US citizen that watches the news would be able to tell you the Israeli death toll, yet they’d probably have a hard job informing you how many Lebanese had died.

I bet 90% of this forum are oblivious to the Israeli death toll (without googling it), but I'm sure you can all tell me how many Lebanese have been killed.

There is a huge media bias in this country.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. psycaholic

psycaholic Registered User

was 55 last i heard dude
  4. dano

dano

God knows why i'm even bothering with this tripe.......

your off your head, essentially your problem is that it isnt pro-israeli enough for you, not that it isnt balanced, your taking the line of every israeli government spokeperson given the chance to spout crap on air, or every pro-israeli website.

last week on the bbc hard talk, dan gillerman one night, a spokesperson for hizbollah the next night, surely thats balanced.

incidentally, israeli civilian dead 18, israeli military 33, it's in the likes of the guardian every day.
  5. psycaholic

:D
  6. Rob

Rob Registered User

Re: Media bias

I'd guess 70 tops.
  7. psycaholic

Re: Re: Media bias

which is a hell of a lot more than the civilian loss of the leb's i guess
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

British media does not equate to the BBC (which is hardly an unbiased media!).

Perhaps Israeli spokes people are suggesting that Israel is being misrepresented in the media because this is a reality?

Every airstrike carried out by the IDF is guarnteed hours of international airplay - but after the first initial Katyusha attacks the Hezbollah offensive is all but ignored... I see headline after headline condemning Israel yet I haven't read one headline condemning Hezbollah... How can you tell me this is unbiased?

There are two parties engaged in this conflict and both have blood on their hands.

ps. its hardly surprising that the Guardian produce inccorecct statistics where Israel is concerned.
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Re: Re: Re: Media bias

Israel claim they've killed over 300 militants... If this is the case then the IDF should be commended.
  10. dano

dano

get a grip, this is taken from the jerusalem post from 17.7.06:

"Assaf Shariv, Olmert's media advisor, boasted that Israeli's have been interviewed by the foreign press four times as much as spokespeople for the Palestinians and Lebanese......and cited a poll of Sky News viewers that found that 80% believe Israe'ls attacks on Lebanon were justified."

quote from Gideon Meir in the Jerusalem Post:

"We have never had it so good. The hasbara (propaganda) effort is a well oiled machine."

i would suggest you read the paper, before coming out with the same old shit.
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Both your quotes are over 2 weeks old, they were issued near the beginning of the conflict at a time when Israel was portrayed in a just light (the first Katyusha attacks were covered in great detail)... But the international media rapidly distanced itself from Israel... Your post just confirmed everythng I'd already said.

Turn on the news, walk into a news agent, listen to a radio, log onto a website... All will have vastly more Lebanese coverage than Israeli.

I read the Guardian - I'm well versed on their stance.
  12. dano

dano

explain to me the guardian's stance.
  13. forks

forks still not dead

ebanon is being reduced to rubble, hundreds of civilians are being murdered.
    It is destruction on a massive scale you loop. Israels problems with hezbullah rockets is not even in the same universe. of course the destruction of the state of lebanon is covered more than the rocket attacks on israel.
    this is not bias. and in what way is the bbc unbalanced ?
  14. NorthernOUFC

NorthernOUFC Registered User

Re: Media bias

Should that not be there is a huge media bias in the US??

At least the media in this country stand-up and criticize the government (even if I don't always agree with it). Any story involving US soldiers or their military allies is incredibly one sided, even on the more 'moderate' CNN.

Joe I'm afraid you're sounding increasingly paranoid, without wanting to go over other threads it is possible that this coverage is one-sided because anyone not very close to Isreal finds it hard to justify the scale of their attacks.
  15. Clique

Clique

I read the guardian it it publishes stories about both sides in the confilct

I wouldnt say it had a bias on one side or the other to be honest (To be fair l am a left liberal)

I disagree with what both sides are doing

Maybe you think it has a bias because you are looking at with with a bias yourself?

Today it had two stories one from Hizbullah, talking with a unit deployed firing rockets in to israel it didnt show them in a particually good light as they were firing rockets from a village that still had residents there, and they admitted they wore civivian clothes when in this situ (In my opinion so if there are casualties they would look civilian)

One from Isreal talking about the cabinets desicsion to carry on the fighting for another two weeks and the peoples general support for the action. Also didnt endear me to israel either

I dont see how this presents a bias view.
  16. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I didn't realise a cause had to reach a set figure of dead before it warranted news coverage.

The Lebanese death toll is so high because Hizbullah launch there rocket attacks from densely populated civilian structures... Considering Hizbullahs use of human shields the fact that Israel has killed around 300 militants is commendable.

You sit there screaming bloody murder, yet I haven't once witnessed you condemn Hizbullah - instead you predictably target Israel... The IDF have no other option.

Yet none of this is covered in our media - we get the odd stray story but 90% of our media coverage is anti-Israel.
  17. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

The media in america (CNN particularly) is hugely biased towards the Israelis (in keeping with the greater proportion of jewish people in their demographic I assume).

Israeli generals are given a huge amount of time to explain away their latest blunder, whilst the images from it are censored away.

Lebanese ministers are also given far less time, and Condoleeza is portrayed as a hero for 'holding her own' against the cowardly other nations, who want to see the airstrikes stop.

From the limited coverage I've seen on BBC news, you are getting a far more rounded impression of whats happening. This probably goes some way to explaining US support for the war.

Interesting to note that Hezbollah has launched its biggest rocket attack yet today - are they really making any improvements at all out there?
  18. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

If a gunman has taken hostages in a building, is it justifiable to destroy the whole building and kill them all to protect people?
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

The Guardian is notoriously anti-Zionist, there's even been fucking books wrote on the subject!

But of course, the Guardian are not anti-Zionist - its just those paranoid Jews thinking the world is out to get them
    again :rolleyes:
  20. Yosef Ha'Kohain

That’s a pathetic analogy... the gun man is not threatening those external to his domain.
  21. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Israel are claiming 300 dead Hizbullah fighters.

Andy you're not in England at the moment, how can you possibly comment on whether there exists a media bias?