is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conway, Jan 29, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

after witnessing melt's latest windup in the events forum directed at mr stone, how many of you think digital is actually killing the smaller clubnights?

Before digital we had foundation, a club similar in size and in the makeup of nights that were put on, open virtually every night (just like digital), yet noone ever said having foundation in newcastle killed smaller nights off.

Fast forwarding two years on since foundation closed - in addition to digital and the established large nights we also have a vibrant small clubnight scene, lots of small/medium established club nights in 300-400 capacity venues (habit, error, detox, junior g, I could go on reeling off names forever...), to me 'the scene' has never looked better. Music of all types for all different kinds :up:

And yet there is this assumption that digital is killing off the little guys in town.

has digital been good for the scene? has it had no effect whatsoever? or is the oracle that is melt correct in his assumption that the unholy corporate overlords are killing off all the smaller nights? ;)
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. French William

French William _________________

Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

I bet you couldn't.
  4. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Re: Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

frenchy you're such a pedantic cunt :lol:
  5. MELT

MELT Registered User

good greef pulling out from cosmic :junior g = end of junior g is a direct result of evolve moving their dates

this in turn means you have now got a plethora of nights at cosmic competing for shades of the same market

the smaller nights will fight their hardest to compete against digital which is testament to the commitment of the promoters but in the long run that corporate beast will more than likely financially outmuscle them and result in them having to move the dates of their nights:

back then foundation did go for the jugular on occasion in much the same way but there was less competition

there was a night called tuff started up at satellite with lineups that in a way were better than promise / quality but promise just cut their door price and put them out of business
  6. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

there's not many smaller actual venues (rather than club nights) in town suitable or willing to take a punt on 'club' nights. If it wasn't for the cosmic, digital would almost be the only option.

yes there's the red rooms and maybe a couple of others that are good for 150 or so people but where else is there for the 300 - 700 mark?

to be honest, does it need them?
  7. MELT

MELT Registered User

is this what you meant?

however, it ain't an assumption, its a fact
  8. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Satellite was a pretty shit venue, and in an awful place. I don't think the actions of Promise had anything to do with it not doing well.

From what I've read on here, there are far more smallish nights than there ever were, particularly given the lack of decent venues.
  9. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Scotland Yard wasn't in such a bad position, after all Rockshots did well enough.
  10. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

oh how i miss scotland yard now - i've got some photos of that old camo netting you used to put up ;)
  11. MELT

MELT Registered User

if the event is good enough the clubbers will come, irrespective of town location imho

but a simiar style night with a bigger lineup ran on the same night as a smaller night will always almost win out on numbers and money taken thru door
  12. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

if thats what I'd meant, then thats what I would have typed ;)

to be honest I doubt promise cutting their door prices was the reason tuff went the way of the dodo. You got to look at it from a much broader perspective, the fact that satellite wasn't the best of venues and had a poor location is the reason tuff didn't pull people in and the reason the venue itself went under. Like MoS has already pointed out, with digital where it is now, satellite would probs be doing alright if it was still open (and had been through a half decent refit).
  13. MELT

MELT Registered User

Re: Re: Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

aye but they are almost all in 1-2 venues

for this read cosmic ballroom / red rooms
  14. MELT

MELT Registered User

so you are saying digital has in reality been the saviour of the whole scene by moving the clubbers over to the centre of life area

tbf newcastle is hardly new york city, it aint a hardship to walk acorss town

tbh the move of shindig and other nights to digital killed one of the best clubs newcastle ever had: its academic whether it would have shut in the fullness of time due to licensing restrictions, digitals emergence killed foundation a lot quicker

end of the day tho foundation will always be better than digital

but thats not really the debate

digital nights have clearly been shuffled to make it awkward for other nights, the passing of time will prove that
  15. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

For one offs, yes, but I'm not sure that this would hold true for a weekly event any more. A lot of people end up going clubbing when they had only intended to go out for a drink - many of these will go to clubs that they are already reasonably close to.
  16. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

Used to love that night shame only 6 or 7 people turned up for Farley

On the other hand im not a fan of Digital!!

Its had an effect on the prices / people in the gay area of town!!
  17. MELT

MELT Registered User

explain....

:confused:
  18. MELT

MELT Registered User

aye thats true

:)
  19. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

Re: Re: Re: Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

Well having gay friends ive always tend to drink around that area!! prior to Digital opening the prices in the bars were generally ok, the people were fine and generally a good atmosphere

Nowadays the prices are extortionate *sp and i feel the general attitude of some of the people stinks around that area now
  20. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Re: Re: Re: Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

It is being run as a business, so of course they will do what they can to get one over on the competition.

Why can't people move away from the 'let's all do it for the love of clubbing', and realise that the vast majority of weekly nights have to be run as businesses? They are run by people who do it full-time and have to protect their livelihoods.
  21. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is digital killing the smaller nights in town?

I'm not sure about the prices changing, but the atmosphere definitely has.