Faith schools

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by BRID, Oct 16, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Faith schools

So looks like this is becoming a big deal now for the media.

Yeah i grew up going to assemblies at school, and RE lessons were part of the curriculum - I remember a few kids who were Jehova's witnesses were allowed to not go to assemblies since we had to sing hymns and whatnot.

It all felt very low key and not such a big deal.

These days, the whole christian bias about schooling seems to have trailed off quite a bit, and specific christianity based 'faith' schools appear to be fast becoming a thing of the past.

So .... Is this the day and age for building state supported faith schools where even though a portion of pupils have to be from non 'of those faith' denominations or whatnot - and if thats the case, should they be forced to fall in line with the traditions of those religions.

Specifically of course - should we be funding muslim faith schools, but allowing them to insist that non muslims wear religious clothes while they are in those schools?

Religion seems to be dividing britain these days - surely its time to put some kind of brakes on before it gets even more out of hand.

Should religion be kept out of schools? Should any parents wanting to educate their children with a religious bias have to reach into their pockets and send them privately if they want 'special' treatment?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

of course we should support faith schools.

why should those that seek a religious education be deprived of that option? we all pay the same taxes.
  4. BRID

Is state supported 'religion' a right though? Should it cross over to education? What does it bring to the table, aside from giving things like say lunchtimes, a few lessons and whatnot being different?

Does it bring kids up to think 'im different' to ones in other schools? Hardly cosmopolitan is it?
  5. Yosef Ha'Kohain

different sectors of society require different things from the education system.

A Jew/Muslim is required to study torah/quran far more vigerously than a couple of hours after dinner would permit, state supported faith schools are a means of providing millions of British citizens with this oppertunity.

It may not be to your liking, but we live in a free society which attempts to cater for all its citizens needs... rather than chruning out clone after clone.
  6. wallyjumblat

wallyjumblat Registered User

Religion is a big issue faith schools should be allowed imo but people should still have freedom of choice , whats to stop all religions being taught in schools so that people can make there own minds up rather than having a faith pushed down there throat ?
  7. Yosef Ha'Kohain

While I agree in theory, it would never work in practise, in accepting one religion you deny the others.

I think faith schools should focus on their faith and state schools should teach all religions :up:
  8. BRID

so a 'STATE' school should be just that - one provided by the state.

A 'FAITH' school .... should they be given the same kind of funding - I.E. having entire schools built for them, or should this be left to the private sector to support.

At the end of the day, religion is a private choice - I'd say yeah a country should embrace and support its diversity to some extent.... but where does this support begin and end?

What next for instance - muslim only wards in hospitals? jewish only terminals on train platforms? christian only lanes on the motorway?

Silly examples yeah - but current PC thinking in britain doesnt seem to have any limits to its stupidity.
  9. wallyjumblat

wallyjumblat Registered User

it is all getting a bitt ott on the pc thinking but at the same time it shows that people are becoming more tolerent of other cultures and religions but you do wonder when a line will be drawn !

Faith and religion tends to be a question of family environment imo more than schools .

We all remeber how thrilling re lessons were but they didnt concentrate ion one faith or at least mine didnt !
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

You go to hospital to get better, you get on the train to travel somewhere... You go to school to learn... They weren't silly examples... they were retarded :D

British society caters for all its citizens regardless of class, if faith schools were privatised this would place the birthfright of many British citizens out of their reach and faith schools would become a foly of the affluent.

Can you give me one coherent reason as to why we shouldn't fund faith schools?
  11. BRID

Coherance is one thing, Cohen friendly is another - although the two are sometimes thought of as one and the same thing :D

Personally - I think in todays day and age, we need less lines drawn between people in such impressionable environments like schools.

Yeah i know these schools arent exactly going to sit and drumb race/belief hate into their intake 24/7 - but it makes you wonder what exactly is so important about these religions that the entire education system needs to be geared around them, at other peoples expense.

I dont believe that teaching kids about the damnation of infidels is something that should be part of the curriculum alongside algebra and the works of shakespear.
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I don't know any faith schools that teach on the damnation of infadels... Ofsted would close them down within minutes.

How is the education system geared around religious schools? They operate like any other school - the only difference being religion is intwined with their curriculum.

Faith schools tend to operate in an area where there is a large population of their target demographic... What harm is there in catering for the communities needs?

Although a lot of the Gateshead Yeshiva's are privately funded I'm sure there is government funds available to them and why shouldn't there be? They pay the same taxes but they have different needs.

I take it your opposed to multiculturalism then? I find it quite depressing that you feel that communities can't coexist together unless they conform to one generic standard.
  13. BRID

The damnation of infidels forms alot of islamic doctrine - then again so does that of christianity for sure.

I'd say a school should serve a community, but i dont see how religion should be part and parcel of that.

Even if it was, why should the 10% of non muslims for instance in the case of the school talked about over the weekend, require that the pupils wear religious clothing that the other 90% have. Its absolute hippocracy.

Personally, i think a 'belief' is an interesting concept - im not sure how well they fit in with government involvement at a purely high level discussion. How much should a government be involved in these kind of things .... minority or majority.
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

How can you say that islam is not part of a muslim community?!?!?!?
  15. BRID

Of course it is - but should a belief that aint necessarily something that a large portion of the population buys into (religion of any sort) be actively part of something that forms part of a state offered education.

I'd like to bet it was such a low figure, that it would bring into question whether or not state support to the actual building of schools, or should it be indirect educational support for say, private schools.
  16. Yosef Ha'Kohain

There are only 32 muslim and jewish faith schools in the UK, I don't understand why this is an issue.

The school serves the community they exist in, Gateshead Yeshiva isn't breeding seperatism or extremism - it offers average Jews a place to study Torah... I don't understand why you're opposed to this?

I'm sure you don't want to ban state funded art schools, they seep much more money from the economy and the education is wasted on the majority of their students (if we were viewing this in terms of growing the economy).
  17. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

Religon shouldnt be preached in any school

All kids should be made to do R.E. and then they have the knowledge to make their own mind up
  18. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

RE was the biggest waste of time since Year 8 German.

Half an hour every tuesday of the teacher getting ripped apart for the glaring faults in the bible, which we could have spent learning something useful like maths or history.

It was quite nice to have a carol service every Christmas though :love:

Does anyone have any statistics comparing the attainment of faith schools against non-faith schools? If they're doing better/no worse and costing them same then let them be; if they're doing worse or costing more, ditch them or make them pay the excess :up:

No reason a child should be at an educational disadvantage because of their parents beliefs, and I know ethnic minorities generally do worse that whites at GCSE/A level (although the proportion of ethnic minorities at law/medical school is much higher than you would expect as well).
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

They cost less as they have to generate money themselves... On the whole they tend to achieve better results (although the bulk of faith schools are church run primary schools - I don't know the statistics on these).

Jewish and Muslim schools tend to be head and shoulders above their state equivelant.
  20. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    NO I DISAGREE,

if u dont like the schools we hav got go sumwhere else.

sod ure religion cost the tax payers a fuck load of cash

also whats that religion where u hav 2 pray a few times a day, they get 2 skive work 2 pray tahts a fcking joke when other people hav 2 graft
  21. Yosef Ha'Kohain

jimi about 5000 of the 6000 faith schools are christian.

32 are jewish and muslim....