Democracy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Aug 5, 2003.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. rachel

rachel Registered User

and at 25 pages i do believe that this thread may be finally closed!! lol!! :rolleyes: :lol: :D xxx
  2. SeniorChem Si

SeniorChem Si Registered User

ok, you carry on thinking that's the difference between fact and opinion :dunce: I'm not gonna waste any more time trying to explain
  3. Nat

Nat Registered User

I'm glad i did'nt get involved in this one:rolleyes:
  4. paul

paul Registered User

me to mate, me to
  5. Titch

Titch Registered User

is it?????

how do you know?
  6. Rob

Rob Registered User

This thread is fantastic. Just reading it is boiling my blood (which is a good thing in this case).

Somebody really doesn't get what an instinct is, please let me try to help.

Lets say you were put into isolation (totally alone) from the moment you were born, you never spoke to anybody but you were exposed to recordings of english words in a random order throughout your life.

You would in time learn how to say the words you heard, however without being TAUGHT what they mean and how they should be ordered you could not put them together with punctuation to express complex opinions, wants, etc.

We therefore can deduce that use of language is NOT INSTINCT.

Lets put you back in that same isolation situation with a male, when you get to a certain age you will start breeding, you don't need to be taught how, you will just do it because it is INSTINCT.

I really can't think of a simple way to explain it. :D
  7. Mr. Revel

Mr. Revel Registered User

we have it on our coco pops for breakie!
  8. BreakdownBoy

BreakdownBoy Registered User

thank god:lol:
  9. batfink

batfink Registered User

Your opinion, when compared to facts, is wrong. admit it. I dont think your opinion is wrong, i know it is wrong, it is scientifically proven that your view on what an instinct is, is wrong.
    our survey says: EH UH!
    [​IMG]
    FACT
    n.
    Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.
    Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed: Genetic engineering is now a fact. That Chaucer was a real person is an undisputed fact.
    A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the case.
    Something believed to be true or real: a document laced with mistaken facts.
    A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.

OPINION
    n.
    A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
    A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
    A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
    The prevailing view: public opinion.
  10. Ruth

Ruth Registered User

theres been loads of studies done by psychologists about instinctive (inate) & learned bahaviours..

i cud post a whole study about it but the majority of the reading you's wud do...wud have no relevance or wud bore you's so i won't....

this is what psychologists have stated about innate or instinctive behaviour....

instinct, term used generally to indicate an innate tendency to action, or pattern of behavior, elicited by specific stimuli and fulfilling vital needs of an organism. Examples of almost purely instinctive behavior are found in the behavior of many lower animals, in which activity (often quite complex) is performed that is not based upon past experience, e.g., reproductive and food-gathering activity in insects. Instinctive behavior generally acts as an initiator or triggering mechanism to arouse the organism, and it is modified by learned behavior as well as innate regulatory mechanisms. For example, nest-building by birds is a complex activity triggered by instinctive drives and modified by environmental conditions, such as the availability of materials and sites. Among animals, fixed patterns of instinctive behavior include fighting, courtship behavior, and escape; even these can usually be shown to be modified by experience (see ethology). Freud used the term instinct when referring to human motivational forces, such as sex and aggression. Sociobiologists and ethologists such as Konrad Lorenz have sought to understand social behaviors in terms of instincts, among humans as well as other animals. The usage of the term among psychologists has largely died out; today, motivational forces among humans are generally referred to as instinctual drives.

i'll try to hunt out what it says bout learned behaviours & post it later!! :)
  11. Ruth

Ruth Registered User

a study by baldwin in 1896 showed that because of evolution some learned behaviours are now instinctive behaviours!! :)
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Ruth to my understanding the Baldwin effect would only arm us with the ability to learn a language, as language evolution is out of the scope of natural selection mainly because of its disfunctional nature the ability to learn a language is a learnt instinct...

But for Snack to assume that SPAG are instinctive is insane.
  13. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

This whole argument now resembles a scene out of Good Will Hunting :D
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

lol my favourite film quote of all time:

"You paid $150,000 for an education that you could have gotten at the public library for $1.50 in late fees"
  15. Ruth

Ruth Registered User

i ain't looked at any balwin studies for a few years now joe but i did a quick search & came up with what i said above... :)

theres loads of dif theories on innate & learned behaviour....tis true some learned behaviours are now innate but language isn't ever likely to be one of them...otherwise we would be automatically be able to speak & more than likely speak more than one language fluently! :)